Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Not your usual sheltie.

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Zana, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Zana

Zana Premium Member

Nov 15, 2017
    Boise
    I know the saying goes after adoption from the shelter, 3 days the dog is weary of new home. 3 weeks they see what they can get away with and 3 month the real personality comes through.

I've been doing loads of reading with shelties and kota is nothing like them. She is a one of kind. She doesn't herd anything, even ducks, timid of people who walk toward us on walks even when they ignore, her instincts is to turn around and go the opposite direction. She doesn't bark at any noise even knocks at the door. Doesn't howl when sirens pass by or other dogs. She is sleeping or napping almost all the time and she can't hold her attention for too long when training. (The longest we've lasted is about 30 seconds). She swallows her kibble instead of chewing them,yet she will chew dried hard meat. She's already had a dental, had five teeth pulled and has healed, but even before the dental she would swallow her kibble.

I've resorted to using a chock collar when we go for walks because shell slip out of her normal collar if someone is walking towards us. When she does try to turn around, I stop and slowly give in to the chain so she doesnt hurt herself. Shell then just lay there until the person passes. I instruct people to not pay any attention to her as they pass. Once the person is gone, she's fine for walking.
    I'm trying to get her to realize that people walking towards us are not scary and she doesn't need to worry.

Ok so the title is a bit off, but she isn't energetic, doesn't herd, and doesn't bark. Doesnt even whine.
    I know its only been two and half months, but I'm wondering what her real personality is after the 3 month mark. I still love her no matter what. When I cry or laugh she comes to me right away. Shell even try to comfort me. I'm wondering if she was maybe an ESA? Oh, how do I get her to like drivers? Its hard to groom her when she freaks out over the blow dryer.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Piper's mom likes this.
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    The first thing I'd do is get the choke off of her and go with a martingale collar if your worried about her slipping out of it...it's too easy for her to hurt herself at that young age wearing a choke. Next is get her out to a puppy class...a good trainer who will help her to get over her fear of strangers...it's very important with Shelties to socialize them as much as possible at a young age because they are such a sensitive breed. Try taking her to any stores that allow pets and allow different people to pet her...women, men (especially men), bearded men, kids, seniors etc. The more things you do now the better adjusted she'll be later.

3. Zana

Zana Premium Member

Nov 15, 2017
    Boise
    Well I wouldn't call her young. Our vet considers 4 year olds as seniors though I beg to differ since she is on the small side amd not a big dog. What is a mertengale? And can 4 year olds enter puppy classes? I thought puppy classes are for puppies only?

I just remembered my opening sentence. Lol. I mean when you first adopt a dog from the shelter.

4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I'm so sorry Zana....I assumed she was a puppy. I saw the sentence about having her for 3 months and assumed. A martingale is usually 1/2 nylon and 1/2 chain...you can give a correction and it tightens but it won't 'choke' them.
    Perhaps a beginner obedience class then with a qualified trainer (ask if you can watch a class, ask if they have any experience with the breed and don't be afraid to ask for references. Avoid at all costs the 'trainers' at brand name pet stores...their inexperience could cause more harm than good.

Zana likes this.
  5. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    I would walk her wearing a harness instead of a collar. A collar is NEVER a good idea if the dog pulls, it is just too easy for them to injure themselves.

And I would consult a positive dog trainer immediately so that you can learn how to teach her that people walking toward her is a good thing.

JacqueZ and Zana like this.
  6. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I purchased my Laddie as a puppy and took him to beginners obedience classes and CGC classes! He passed each one with no issues. However, with all that socialization he NEVER got comfortable with any stranger approaching me on walks! Even after 13 years!
    My other rescue Sheltie Mr Chance loved other people and other dogs!

The reason I am saying this is every dog is so different! I am glad you can say you will love her no matter what and that a close bond is forming because you are devoted!

While I totally agree with obedience classes, please beware!! I recently adopted a five year old tri male that is scared of everything! Classes do help but like Piper's mom recommended... don't go to pet stores for obedience classes!

For that matter, don't go to any class until you go there first! My recent experience with these beginner classes is they allow dogs in that the owners will not work with... every class beginner class teaches the basics of sit, down, stand, heel, and stay. Those basics help the dog gain confidence! Especially when done in a group setting!

My tri boy gained so much confidence by going to class! Please go to several and see the trainers and dogs in a class in action first! I had to go through three training classes before I found one with the right fit for us!

Good luck! Keep us posted!

7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Unless you know the history of your girl, it can be hard to determine what her temperament and fears might be. Prior experiences can imprint Shelties for a very long time since they are a sensitive breed. Three months is the blink of an eye in Sheltie time. Be patient with your girl and don't stress about her progress. It sounds like she will need time and love and lots of patience. She will come along, but very slowly. Don't push or force her. An obedience class with a trainer who knows knows the Sheltie breed and temperament is a good idea. I recommend going to watch the class and speak to the trainer before entering.

Meantime, I agree that using a martingale or harness is a good idea for your girl. Be sure they fit well...a Sheltie who slips a collar or even a harness (yes, mine have gotten out of harnesses on occasion) can bolt and be gone. If you can take her to a pet supply store and try them on her that would help; otherwise, you can find both on sites like this martingale at Amazon.

It's not unusual for them to be afraid of blow dryers. Like anything new, introduce it to her slowly. Run it over her body while it's off for a few days and give her treats. Then turn it on, but don't point it at her. Make sure it's on low. Gradually point it at her feet and give her treats. It will take time but she'll get used to it if you make it a positive experience.

When you walk bring some high value treats that you only use on walks. Praise and treat her when she's good and responds to commands. Do the same at home. Give her time to come out of her shell and she'll do well.

8. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    We got very little information on our 2nd rescue Katy who came to us at 2 very withdrawn. Our secret weapon was our first rescue who she bonded with and trusted.

My advice is patience and if the dog is treat driven use it. Try new things, train, but accept the dog has experienced things you can't change and some may have long term impacts on behaviour.

Accept the dog but don't give up. Katy still surprises us as she's grown older in positive ways. Since Bailey passed and we brought another girl in the house she's developed leadership skills she never demonstrated before. There is hope.

9. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I swear, Shelties are as different from each other as can be! Beckon (aka Colonel Underpants) loved everyone he saw until he was about 8 months. Then he became fearful of strangers. He never really grew out of it, but basic obedience and Rally classes helped him immensely. Still, he'll duck away from being petted by strangers (or even neighbors he knows unless they're in the house with us for a while).

When we asked our animal communicator to ask him why, Beckon says he doesn't know why he's fearful. He just is. Nothing happened in his early puppyhood; we know the breeder and how he was raised from birth. He's just super suspicious.

10. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    I rarely think this fits a Sheltie :no:
    - they are so sensitive so all trust must be built up and it takes time before they feel they can trust their people - and if the dog has previously been betrayed then it will take time.

I love this link - then we may better understand this little sensitive breed.
    http://sheltieforums.com/threads/are-shelties-for-everyone.22964/

Piper's mom and mimiretz like this.