Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Now what...

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by ghggp, Jun 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    omg... be careful what you wish for!

So, as many people of you know
    I discussed the aggressive Doberman in my last class. So the trainer offered me the evening class. She explained there were 8 dogs in the class.

I went last night. There were 14!!!!
    Not only that... there were two aggressive dogs in that class! A pit bull and a young German Shepherd!

The lunging, barking, and snarling are just unbelievable. The shepherd was so bad that one of the trainers keep trying to work with him on a 1:1 basis! Still could not get him under control and had to take him outside several times to remove him from the other dogs.

The pit bull was so focused on Liam that it really concerned me. The man could not get that dog under control and he could not even get the dog to sit! This is the third class!

Liam seem to be concerned about him. Any time we did heeling he kept glancing back to see if that dog was close behind him.

The trainer in the class explained that we can only give your dogs guidance in the class and teach new things ... but, you need to do the homework. Clearly these two are struggling or are not doing any at home training!

On a heartwarming note, there was a lady there with a young blind and deaf tiny female sheltie. She used touch command training! I was so impressed! She explained that this was the second blind and deaf dog she has trained!

I am going to transfer back to the CGC class. I would rather have one aggressive dog in the class rather than two!

What a roller coaster ride. I just don’t understand why they allow dogs that are not socialized in obedience classes when they clearly need more 1:1 training first.

I know that trainer is going to think I am nuts! The trainers last night was not even told I was coming!

2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    More than slightly unprofessional! Keep looking for a better class.

3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    That's awful Gloria!
    Why don't you try to find a beginner class in obedience, I found it so helpful to help Finnie get over his fear of strangers.
    I agree with Chris, I'd definitely look for another class elsewhere, not professional at all!

Calliesmom, ghggp and Ann like this.
  4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    This kind of thing can do more harm than good to Liam's sensitivity. I'd run, not walk from this training center. I know it's not always easy to find new places, but I would not take him back there.

KarenCurtis, Margi, corbinam and 4 others like this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Oddly enough, this WAS a beginner obedience class! I asked to be moved away from the pit that was so focused on Liam that it scared him. The trainer said, NO. Stop making excuses for your dog. Then she said if you are concerned about that dog you are transmitting it down the leash.

Go figure, my mind is just spinning trying to make sure I get Liam the socialization he needs... Yet, I encounter these aggressive dogs!
    I think their viewpoint is... a shy or frightened dog is just as bad as an aggressive one and they all need to be in a class together.

Maybe, if I got him into a different facility and went to intermediate or advanced classes where the dogs are more under control? It might be too advanced for him on the downside... but the upside is better-behaved dogs! The class next to us was an advanced obedience class but the trainer did not want me in the class as it was larger.

6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Well, I would forfeit my $100 deposit.
    But honestly, I would rather not make his shyness worse. Maybe we are just not meant to be in this venue.
    Maybe, he and I would be happier as just a house pet.

KarenCurtis and Calliesmom like this.
  7. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate ny
    I second what Ann has said 100%!!
    Trini

8. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Gloria,

I don't think you are nuts to try and get the right situation for Liam. There couldn't BE more difference than between a shy dog and an aggressive, out-of-control dog. I would urge you to try another place if you can. My town is not very large but there are a few different options for training. Is there a dog sports club in your area? My club runs its own obedience, agility and rally classes. I think Liam is too young to give up on his training. I forget what you said about Nosework in your area, but I can't say enough about what good it does for your dog's confidence and it is an individual exercise so no worries about crazy classmates.

Maybe even ask your vet's office for recommendations. Good luck. :hugs

ghggp, KarenCurtis and Ann like this.
  9. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    this place is so incredibly unprofessional- to be told that you would be in a class of 8 where there are practically double that number to- to not informing the trainer/s of that class that you would be there................
    if there is somewhere else to go, check it out:yes:

ghggp, KarenCurtis and Ann like this.
  10. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Keep trying but find a different venue. I am sorry but if a Pit was eyeing up Spitfire I would be watching it like a hawk also. There are plenty of them that are fine but a reactive one that is eyeing you dog is a bad thing (plus Spitfire would not back down until to late)