Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

OD on Cheese?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by SRW, May 22, 2019.

1. SRW

SRW Premium Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Ohio
    Devon was a very bad dog this evening. He somehow managed to knock off the counter most of a package of sliced colby jack cheese and scarfed the whole thing down, including a lot of the papers they use to separate the slices. :gaah When I went into the kitchen all I saw were a few of the papers lying on the floor. No sign of any cheese anywhere. It was originally a whole pound package and I think there was probably between a half and three quarters of a pound left.

I hope he doesn't get sick, either from the cheese or from all the pieces of paper he ate with it. Fortunately it wasn't the real waxy paper, but just the thin tissue like stuff.

Sandy in CT likes this.
  2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Ooh dear, sore bottom tonight then? Hope he isn't too affected by the lactose and fat.

3. SRW

SRW Premium Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Ohio
    Yea, I guess that's another thing to worry about, that he'll make a mess somewhere in the house in the middle of the night. I guess it was just too close to the edge of the counter and that he was able to get a paw or some teeth on it and pull the whole thing down. Either that or he was in cahoots with the cat who jumped up there and pushed it off for him.

4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    When Piper was about 8 months old I'd been using a lot of cheese one evening for treats when doing obedience. Next morning I took him to a dog show (exhibition only) and he had diarrhea in the middle of the aisle! Hope the cheese doesn't upset his tummy.

Caro likes this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    How is Devon doing today?
    I know he would say, the CAT made me do it! :hide

SRW, Piper's mom and Caro like this.
  6. SRW

SRW Premium Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Ohio

He seems fine this morning. I walked him rather than just letting him loose in the backyard so I could see what he did, and everything was fine. I don't know if the cheese hasn't made it all the way through him yet, or if he has a cast iron digestive system. He also didn't make any kind of a mess in the house overnight.

ghggp and Ann like this.
  7. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Just monitor for signs of pancreatitis - that is a LOAD of fat for a smaller dog. Hopefully he is fine. Mine would do the same if they could. Ally once got a hold of a chocolate bar....

Chris, Caro and ghggp like this.
  8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I was thinking the same thing this morning Sharon! pancreatitis Is very serious and comes on fast. Laddie had it. Good thing to watch out for!

9. SRW

SRW Premium Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Ohio

Did Laddie get it from eating something with a lot of fat in it that he shouldn't have had? If so, how long was it between the time he ate whatever it was and the time he got sick?

I have to take Devon to the vet today anyway in order to get him weighed before I buy some more heartworm meds as he was 23lbs a few months ago which was right on the cusp of needing a larger dose, so I will ask them about this and see what advice they have. If something like this happens again, I'm now wondering if I should give him hydrogen peroxide and make him throw some of it up rather than let it all go through his system.

10. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I had switched dog food and it took about two weeks when he had his reaction. The food was way too high in fat for him to tolerate. He was in ICU for 4 days!
    I would ask your vet what to do next time. Hopefully, there will not be a next time!

Symptoms of Pancreatitis in Dogs
    • Fever.
    • Vomiting.
    • Diarrhea.
    • Loss of appetite (anorexia)
    • Weight loss (more common in cats)
    • Dehydration.
    • Fatigue and sluggishness.
    • Mild to severe abdominal pain (may become more sever after eating)