Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Oh no, Cricket needs gallbladder surgery

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by ghggp, Jun 25, 2022.

1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    5D71BEC5-FD6A-45E8-BF24-595750C5B188.jpeg Many of you may know the YouTube Cricket Conicals…
    Unfortunately, Cricket has been diagnosed with Gallbladder disease!

She has to go though surgery to have it removed! Shelties are predisposed to this condition.

Beau has his ultrasound next month. Best to be proactive!

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I saw this. If anything, it will bring awareness to the gallbladder issue in Shelties. There are still too many people who don't know about it. I sure hope Cricket comes out just fine!

3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Oh no! :( Hope she makes it through without issues. I think she's about 10 years old. I agree Ann, hopefully it will bring awareness to this problem for fellow Sheltie owners.

4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    001D5590-EE6F-45DB-88FC-C4C4219612D7.jpeg
    My first rescue Billy passed from this horrible disease! He had a massive attack and was in ICU for almost a week. He was too old and too weak for surgery at that time. I was told to bring him in in 6 months for another ultrasound. 3 months later he had a massive attack and passed. I never, ever want my dog to go through that experience again. Had I known about the disease prior I would have taken steps to prevent it. As Ann knows so well, early ultrasounds are necessary to detect it. Mr Chance was on medication for it and lived without any issues. Hopefully. Cricket will recover quickly!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  5. Ron Atkinson

Ron Atkinson Premium Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    Let's hope she does well,at least her family is being fast to respond.I read Her first bad day was the 13th and have had ultrasound and already have a surgery date setup.

Sandy in CT, ghggp, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I’m so happy to hear they found out what was wrong! Not sure about the vet clinics in Ontario but my vet would’ve done the ultrasound immediately, think they waited almost a week! I’m sure however that she’ll have the best care and she’ll come out of it with flying colours!

7. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    I am so sorry to hear this. We will be thinking of you and biscuit and hoping for a speedy recovery.

Shelby also was just diagnosed with an early mucocele however she is not a candidate for surgery so we are treating medically which for now seems to be helping.

We had a similar experience to Gloria’s with our 1st Sheltie. I also hope that this helps get the word out as to how common this is in Shelties and early diagnosis and treatment is so important.

RikyR, Sandy in CT, ghggp and 4 others like this.
  8. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Cricket is the one with the gallbladder issue, not Biscuit....

Ann, Piper's mom, Sandy in CT and 2 others like this.
  9. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Gloria, what an awful thing to have gone through. I learned about mucoceles here on the forums, and I'm so thankful. I had Faith done a couple of years ago, and when Elijah turns 7 I will have him done as well. Peace of mind. Your Billy was a stunning boy with a massive coat - so handsome. What a shame.

Ann, Sandy in CT, ghggp and 2 others like this.
  10. TheDailyPainter

TheDailyPainter Forums Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2019
    River just had his annual exam and blood work. Everything normal...I talked to the vet about this, and she did not recommend any special testing at this time. Can it only be diagnosed by a scan, are there early signs to look for? Also side note, I asked for titre instead of scheduled shots, and he did not need the shots. Thanks to friends here for calling it to my attention.