Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

older boy becomes snuggler

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Cindy, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

after he lost his hearing, gavin turned into a smuggler! before, he sat on the other end of the couch from me. now, he starts off at the other end but always ends up plastered next to me.

also, as soon as i turn off my lights at night when i am in bed, gavin hoes up his ramp to get on my bed. he is up and down all night, whereas before he was rarely on my bed at night unless it was cold out.

i love the snuggles, but i also know he does it because of his disability and if he could still hear he wouldn’t do it.

Ann, Sandy in CT, Calliesmom and 2 others like this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    It just has to warm your heart and soul knowing he finds so much comfort being close to you! Give him an extra hug and kiss from me!

KarenCurtis and Calliesmom like this.
  3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Maybe he's treasuring this time with you as well. It could have taken this long for him to realise he wants to be that close to you, and that you are happy to snuggle.

KarenCurtis and Calliesmom like this.
  4. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

you are so loving about dogs....I guess I am too cynical!
    Gavin and I have always had snuggle time where I pull him on my lap for cuddles (actually how I found his mast cell tumor a few years back). but Gavin has always just tolerated it in his regal fashion and been relieved when I let him down :)

Now he initiates :) very sweet. and last night he didn't even wait for me to turn the lights off before he came up onto the bed. Guess I was taking too long LOL :)

KarenCurtis, Ann, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Checkers has always been the same way...never a snuggler, always regally independent. But I always knew she was "my" dog because her eyes follow me wherever I go. Since her last surgery though, she does like being close to me, but only for limited periods of time, LOL. As soon as I stop scratching if she's on the couch with me, she's gone. However, she does love sleeping next to me at night now, which is new. It is funny how they change over time.

Barkley can't hear either, but he still prefers his beds on the floor and never even gets up on the couch. So there may be more to Gavin's cuddling than just his hearing. I think they recognize how much we care for them when they're ill, like Checkers and Gavin, and that bond sticks after they're recovered. Whatever the reason, I'll take it. :yes:

KarenCurtis likes this.
  6. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

Gavin still follows me all over the house....I generally can leave his sight for 2 minutes before he comes to check on me (Unless he's sleeping).
    So I get a REALLY quick bathroom break before A Sheltie comes to check on me!
    Only way I know he is not in pain or arthritic, cause that's a lot of ups and downs. He shows no real problems getting up as long as where he is is reasonably stable and not too slick.

Ever since Gavin was sick with Cancer treatments, he has let me snuggle more :) Since the only way he got to not wear a cone was if he was laying on top of me on the couch, he got used to that. His meds made him so sleepy he would just snooze that way. Now he doesn't really sleep on me, but lets me snuggle him that way. When it is hot out though he doesn't like it much!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  7. mimiretz

mimiretz Forums Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    When Oberon was a puppy I took him to a puppy socialization group every weekend. Sometimes the bigger-breed puppies (like Goldies -- I live in a city where bully breeds are prohibited) played a little rougher than Oberon liked, so he got into the habit of jumping on my lap whenever he didn't want to play. He still thinks he's a lap dog and is never happier than when he's curled up with either hubby or me -- or preferably both! He doesn't sleep with us all night, but he gets good-night cuddles and is on and off the bed most of the night.

KarenCurtis likes this.
  8. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    That's incredibly sweet.

KarenCurtis likes this.
  9. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

i know when it's summer weather her when the dog doesn't want to come up on the bed at night...Gavin is down to 1-2 visits a night....must be warming up!

Sharon7 likes this.