Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Only Thing Better Than A Sheltie

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by Henrythesheltie, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Henrythesheltie

Henrythesheltie Forums Regular

Jan 8, 2018
    Is two!

So we have been given the chance to adopt Henry's brother from another mother (literally) and we are quite excited. He is a month younger than Henry and was held for the breeders friend but it fell through so he has been living with the breeder.

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on owning two male shelties. I know the general stuff like do stuff separately with them so their bond doesn' become stronger than with you, but I'm wondering if there is any sheltie specific advice that I don' know about. They will be getting neutered at around a year. The breeder said he gets along with the other intact males so I'm hoping there are no issues with dominance (Henry isn't possessive or dominant).

Any info helps thanks.

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    sounds pretty awesome:yes:
    I did nothing special- I have 3 males and 1 female.
    the 2 younger males- got one at 8 weeks in Jan then got the next in Oct- he was 12 weeks. that was 4 years ago....
    I have been very lax recently taking/posting pix

3. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    I have two related males (6 yrs, and 3 yrs) the younger intact. It is a peaceful life, they play together and are completely bonded and obedient to me (I show them both in advanced obedience competition) We have an older sheltie girl visiting and it's just so easy!

4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I owned only males for most of my life. Many of them were rescued.
    I LOVED my males... they were all so sweet and kind.
    I am sure you will have no issues at all. Shelties, in general, are such easy keepers.
    Although many of mine have all passed to Rainbow Bridge, they were all great with each other! No jealousy or dominant behavior.
    They all went to obedience classes which I believe helps a great deal.

billy-laddie-chance magnet.jpg IMG_8851.JPG

Lunatic59 and Piper's mom like this.
  5. Roberta

Roberta Premium Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Chicago area
    I had 3 boys - 2 were raised together. I got the third male puppy when the other boys were about 3 years old. All 3 got along and were good friends. One boy passed away a couple of years ago so I now have 2 boys (13 and 10 years old) and an 8 month old female puppy. All get along just fine.

When the new girl puppy was being a pain in the neck (pulling tails, etc.) the 13 year old would give her a toothy "grin" but then just walk away. She is pretty much passed the pain in the neck stage now and they all get along great. There were never any fights or aggression.

6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I have two boys who get along great and am going to get another boy in a few months. My youngest can be a pain in the neck to my older one but he puts up with him, never been a fight.

7. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    I've only had girls, but loved your intro, definitely the only thing better than a Sheltie is two, or three, or ??? There's been a joke for years here on the forums that Shelties are like potato chips... can't just have one! Been up to 3 myself and loved every minute. Enjoy your new boy and be sure and post pics! Congrats!

8. Lunatic59

Lunatic59 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I have two males that are littermates. I knew all the bad things they say about them being too close or harder to train, etc. It's malarkey. My boys are very different and certainly not bonded to each other. It's more up to how you treat them than how close in age they are.

Anybody who says you're crazy for owning more than one dog has never had a Sheltie!

ghggp likes this.