Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Ordered my hair shirt and metal scourge

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Margi, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    and submitted my name for entry into Worst Dog Mama Ever hall of shame. Fillion has had two visits to the chiropractor now. His sacrum, left hip, several middle vertebrae, right shoulder were out, also a few in his upper neck. He must have hurt so bad. He wouldn't let me touch his back after the adjustment. After two days of restricted activity, he was so much better. Second visit, the doc was very pleased, only had to realign a few things and hopes the third will do it. I feel so bad I let that sweet dog hurt for so long.

While I will never know what happened that morning I heard him scream, I'm suspicious a coyote got him by the rear. I don't know how they got away from him, or if Benson came to Fil's rescue. The other option is they collided or something running the fence line after the coyote. Fil had no teeth marks on him. But since that happened I had an up close encounter with this particular bastage. (Sharon will know exactly how close I was!) I was standing in my backyard, early morning, all three dogs were out with me barking their heads off at what I thought were the two coyotes I saw across the fairway. Then I saw the one right by my fence--and he hopped the fence, heading in--with me standing there! I ran toward him yelling. If we were 20 feet apart I'll eat my hat. He hopped back out, went about 15 feet away and turned and just looked at me. I was still yelling but now I started chucking gravel at him. He trotted off.
    So now the dogs are not allowed outside after dark without me. The dog door is closed except during the day. I installed a solar motion activated led security light on the fence. I am searching for a permanent solution because it ticks me off my dogs can't enjoy their yard without supervision.

2. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    I am glad Fillion is getting better. Don’t best yourself up, you didn’t know how uncomfortable he was.

Those coyotes are awful. I know we have them too, have not seen them in our yard but I do hear them at night and we have seen them when we are out walking. My neighbor saw one going after one of the local cats.

W never leave Shelby out alone, especially at night. We are always with her.

I hope the 3 visit is even better.

KarenCurtis, Ann, Sandy in CT and 4 others like this.
  3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    OMG Margi - can picture it exactly - and I can't believe that son-of-a-gun coyote was that bold! Which makes it even scarier of course, your home and yard feel violated when it should be a safe space. Too bad you can't electrify that fence and zap the heck out of the coyotes.

Poor Fillion - but they are so stoic, it is so hard to know for sure if/how much they are hurting. Glad to hear the adjustment helped and hopefully he will hold onto the re-set. Don't be too hard on yourself. You are extremely conscientious with your pups.

If it will make you feel any better, on our Sunday outing at a usual place, Meadow somehow found a whole raw hotdog in the middle of a grass area - so random... she wolfed it down while we were yelling "NOOOOOO!" and Arden even chased her to try and get it away but it was Arden 0 Meadow 1. She just ate it faster. Took her straight home and gave her some hydrogen peroxide, 3 separate doses, 10ml total and all we got was burps. Texted our retired vet friend and he said he wouldn't worry too much about it. And the little stinker was FINE, no vomit, no diarrhea. Took another year off my life I was so worried it was either rotten/spoiled or poisoned.....:(( :gaah

Ann, Sandy in CT, ghggp and 4 others like this.
  4. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    I'm glad she's ok! And since I knew that, I got a chuckle out of the visual of Arden chasing her around while she chomped down on ol Oscar Meyer! There's a meme I saw on FB--"There's nothing faster than a toddler with something he shouldn't have in his mouth". Yeah there is--a sheltie with something he shouldn't have!

Ann, Sharon7, Sandy in CT and 2 others like this.
  5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Poor Fil...chiropractors can do wonderful things to a sore dog ( and human!). I agree, don’t beat yourself up, often they don’t let us know anything is wrong until it’s very wrong.
    That’s so scary with the coyotes! Quite often one goes on ahead while the others hang back hidden...scary though that he was so bold but not unusual unfortunately. Hopefully you can find a way to keep them out! Just curious, how high is your fence? I’ve heard they can easily scale a 6 foot fence.
    I guess an option would be barbed wire along the top...that’d keep the buggers out.

6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Oh my...Meadow is fast lol! I know I had to give peroxide to Finnie and I found I had to get him to move around a lot...I played a good game of tug, took 5 minutes but he threw up lol.

Ann, Sharon7 and Darren like this.
  7. Darren

Darren Premium Member

Nov 1, 2019
    As everyone has said, don't beat yourself up, if you were the worlds worst dog mama you wouldn't have been taking Fill to the chiropractor. Look at Monty getting concussion and teeth knocked out from just being on his own in the living room for 2mins. There's times you really just can't avoid a accident as you can't be by their side 24hrs of the day.
    Wow with the coyotes!! I can only imagine what that would be like as the most wild thing around me would probably be a sheep lol. Good to see you haven't been hurt but by the sounds of it they are getting more and more daring!

Great to see that Fill is getting better :yes:

Ann, Sharon7, Piper's mom and 2 others like this.
  8. pomshe

pomshe Forums Enthusiast

Apr 6, 2015
    Pittsburgh
    I don't know what type of fence you have, but I have seen online that people install what they call "coyote rollers" on the top of their fences. It not only keeps coyotes out, but keeps dogs in that try to leap the fence. You might want to check it out. We even have coyotes here in Western Pennsylvania so my dogs don't go out in the dark alone.

KarenCurtis, Ann, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  9. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    My goodness Margi you and Fillion have been through the ringer! So glad he had an adjustment and it helped!

I swear by those solar motion lights! I have many setup in my yard. Mostly to find where I need to pick up the dogs land mines!

I just can’t believe how bold it was! Yes, I would like to know how high your fence is too. I have a 6ft stockade fence. I felt safe until I talked to the rescue and then they informed me that they can even get over those with no problems!

Anyone with an outdoor cat is insane! I can only imagine that is just a snack for them especially if they have a den near by!

So sorry you had to go through that! Having to be on high alert anytime your dogs want to use the yard has to be so stressful!

I know this might sound strange but I know they sell coyote urine. Do you think if you spread that around your fence line that they would see it as a competing coyote’s territory and stay away? Just a thought.

Finally, as others have said, please don’t beat yourself up! This was totally unforeseen!

10. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Wow, that was interesting... never heard of that before. My only fear would be if the fence was short and the coyote could just clear it in one jump without touching the fence it wouldn’t work! Interesting that most reviews talk about keeping their dogs in the yard.