Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Origins canine supplement

Discussion in 'General Health' started by ghggp, Oct 17, 2020.

1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I saw this on a news program this morning...
    FA110B87-0495-44E6-8AD0-4B752AAD6895.png
    I was reading the reviews and was quite impressed! Helps with allergies, joint support, and digestive issues! Has anyone here tried it on their dogs? As it has been freezing the last few days here so the fungus is dead on the grass. Liam has been off Benadryl and not itchy at all. Maybe I will try it for next year. Thoughts?

Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    I have been using Vibrant Pets supplement (Joint and Muscle) for years on Chris's recommendation, and have been pleased with it. They also make a Skin and Coat formula. Have not heard of the Origins brand but it might be worth a try. I like the VP because it is made in America with human food grade ingredients and is a small company.

ghggp, Piper's mom and Chris like this.
  3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I'm a VP supporter. I wish Layla would eat food with it in it, but...no.

ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  4. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Always read the ingredients. I wouldn't use it. Although Enterococci faeecum can be found in GI tracts an overgrowth can be dangerous and I cannot find any research indicating a safe dose as a supplement. It's also considered an infectious agent so would be careful about handling it. I see one of the creaters is a body builder and I'm not sure I'd trust a body builder, they aren't known for playing it safe.

PATHOGENICITY/TOXICITY: Enterococci can cause urinary tract, wound, and soft tissue infections(2,4). They are also associated with bacteremia which can lead to endocarditis in previously damaged cardiac valves(4).

Hanne, Ann, DianeP and 3 others like this.
  5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Thanks for that bit of info Caro...I had no idea! Fortunately I do feed raw so I don't have to worry as much about this additive but I do buy dog treats.
    I read up on it and found this added information...I agree, make sure this isn't in your dog food as well.
    https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/forums/topic/enterococcus-faecium/

Caro, Sharon7 and ghggp like this.
  6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thanks Caro and Lisa!
    Will stay away from it!

Caro and Sharon7 like this.
  7. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Sometimes it's handy having a dog with IBD - all the things I've learnt about canine bacteria and what not to feed! You can thank Tully for that one.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    Piper's mom, Ann, DianeP and 2 others like this.
  8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    we've also been using VP- recently switched to the senior formula.........

Piper's mom likes this.
  9. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    so is there a difference between Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product and Enterococcus faecium?
    I was under the impression that fermentation product was not the active bacteria?

I also checked the VP ingredients and all the formulas contain Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product

10. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    I'd say they're both the same...but I'll wait for Caro to answer that one.