Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Ortho Home Defense Insect Killer

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Fasb's Owner, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Fasb's Owner

Fasb's Owner Forums Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    *Sigh* My wife just called. While we were gone, my father let himself into our house and sprayed Ortho Home Defense Insect Killer around. He says it will keep stinkbugs away from the windows and such.

He didn't spray inside where Fasb could get into it. He sprayed the outside of the house around windows, then came inside and sprayed a bit around the window tracks (just one or two spots). Mostly, he came inside to take a couple screens out and hang out the window and spray the outside. He did take one window out, put it on the floor and spray the top edge. I'm a little worried about that, so I expect I'll clean the carpet in that area when I get home.

Do I have any particular worries about Fasb? I googled the product. It looks like it's only toxic if you ingest it/get it in your eyes. Google gives me the idea it'll be ok once the stuff dries. Doesn't seem overly dangerous for dogs.

Not too worried about Fasb, but I like to know what I'm getting into. Mostly angry that he's doing things in my house without at least letting me know. My dad often does these things without considering thinking things through/considering consequences/doing research/reading instructions/etc, so they often turn out poorly

Thanks.

2. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Sounds like reasonable precaution was taken. Can he come to my house next?

I grabbed a can of Raid and sprayed where sliding door meets deck... the bugs were coming in like on a super-highway... :eek:

3. PatC

PatC Forums Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2012
    P
    Usually, once any insecticide or herbicide dries, it's safe. I don't 100% trust that, but it always makes me feel better...

4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I use this product all the time and it is great...
    ... it keeps spiders away from my house!

I ALWAYS keep my boys in the house until it dries.
    I have been using this product for over two years with NO ill effects!

5. Fasb's Owner

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    How long does it take to dry fully (it's been over 24 hours)?

No problems. Unless he carelessly sprayed the carpets in the house or something, the only way Fasb could come in contact with it is around the back door (leads to porch).

Thanks.

6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I waited 8 hours to dry on a bright and sunny day. I also spayed around doorways (outside) and no issues.

As I say, I have been using the product for years. None of my boys have shown any ill effects.

I would NEVER use the product in the house!

7. Fasb's Owner

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    Well, we're in agreement on that. My father didn't really spray in the house. He came inside and sprayed around windows and stuck his head outside to spray the outside of a couple windows. Still, I think it's a dumb, careless thing to do. Unfortunately, this isn't a new argument with my dad.

(For those wondering, I'm not a kid. Mid-40's, have a job, own my own home, married with three kids, etc. My 70-ish year old parents just have boundary issues, among other things.)

8. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Once it has dried, you are safe. A very small amount of poison is needed to kill a bug, but Fasb would need to lick a good bit of the sprayed area to have any effect. It would smell and taste horrible to him too.

9. Fasb's Owner

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    It actually seems to be working. Stink bugs are staying away from the sprayed areas, it seems, and there are a number of dead bugs beneath the windows.

I'm not going to tell my father that, though. It might be worth spraying next year, but I'd prefer to do it myself so I can do some research and figure out how to best spray for bugs while minimizing potential risks to humans and animals. I'm not being paranoid, unfortunately. My father has accidentally sickened neighbor's pets a couple times over the years with products he used in the yard, left outside, etc. My dad isn't too popular in his neighborhood (it's not his style to apologize and be more careful next time).

10. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Better to be safe than sorry....:yes:

I am very careful when applying it too... I have Scott's for my lawn and I will not even let them use their products in my backyard where my dogs hangout and play... Only the front yard is treated. They have called me to ask if they can use their spray for bugs to repel from my home...

My response... I will do it myself for the very same reason you site...
    We will always be more careful than anyone else to protect our pets! :biggrin2: