Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Our pretty Faelee

Discussion in 'Sheltie Angels' started by trini, Nov 6, 2020.

1. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    It has taken me 3 weeks to be able to write this post. Our precious 9 year old Sheltie girl, Faelee, seemed a bit down following the deaths of her 3 senior Sheltie "brothers", Dakota, Sketch and Simba. Initially I thought she was grieving just as we were. Then on Friday the 16th of October, she started to back away from her meals and was so very tired, not herself at all. By Sunday she had started to vomit anything we could get her to eat and I knew something was seriously wrong. I suspected gastroenteritis which a few days in the hospital would take care of and then she would come home happy and healthy. Since our vet wasn't open on Sunday I took her to the closest Emergency Vet Clinic.

Physical check didn't raise any red flags, blood work was all normal except for a high level of white cells. Then ultrasound and x-rays were done and the dx was devastating. Faelee had a huge tumor filling her spleen and spread to her liver...there was nothing that could be done. We brought her home to say good-bye with the warning that she might have as little as a day or at most a week or two. The danger we had to watch for was signs of internal bleeding with the possibility of the spleen rupturing. Faelee had only 2 days before we had to let her go. She had been one of the healthiest dogs we have ever had until this cancer. Nothing prepared us for this. We were counting on her being with us for many happy years to come. With her death we have now lost all 4 of our Shelties in the past 3 months and life just seems unreal. I have had a Sheltie/s since I was 4 years old and our home feels like a stranger's home now without a Sheltie.

Faelee was a wonderful lass, one of the biggies and so full of love and life. Until a couple of weeks before her death she acted and looked more like a 3-4 year old doggie than a 9 year old. We are struggling to process so much loss and some days we do better than others. I know in time the good memories will help us smile again but right now it is hard.

Picture of my pretty Faelee at 8 months old. Trini Faelee and the flowers #1.jpg

KarenCurtis, RikyR, Darren and 7 others like this.
  2. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    :sorry: tough times. I do recommend a puppy though. I waited a year as I thought it would be unfair to the new dog to come after Dow the Pre-Sheltie. Then I got Sca. Somewhere there is a puppy ready to absorb the sadness hugs that you have to have in you with such a huge hit.

KarenCurtis, Darren, trini and 5 others like this.
  3. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Trini, I'm so sorry... you have had so many losses, in such a short span.

Faelee was beautiful and gone much too soon. Thank you for giving her a wonderful life. :hugs

KarenCurtis, RikyR, Darren and 4 others like this.
  4. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Oh how sad, I'm so sorry!

KarenCurtis, Darren, trini and 3 others like this.
  5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Trini, your loss is incomprehensible. Losing four in such a short time would gut anyone. Please know that we are all sending you love and support and comfort in the loss of Faelee and your three boys. There are no words to make it better. Like Sheep, I hope that another little bundle of fur will come into your life to help fill the emptiness and ease the sorrow. :hugs

KarenCurtis, RikyR, Darren and 5 others like this.
  6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Oh Trini my heart breaks for you...I cannot imagine the amount of loss you've suffered. Hopefully as time passes you can remember the good times without the heartache.:hugs:hugs

KarenCurtis, RikyR, Darren and 3 others like this.
  7. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    oh, my dear Trini, to lose another lovely dog
    - to lose 4 in such a short time, is inhuman,

Hope there is a little new sheltie that you fall in love with
    - sure there is one waiting for you and your loving home.

Many thoughts to you :hugs

8. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I simply cannot fathom the pain you must be going through. I am soooo very sorry to read of your loss of Faelee. I hope your heart can begin to heal. She was such a beauty!

9. mimiretz

mimiretz Forums Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    I am so sorry to hear of your loss. May the Almighty One grant you and your family, two legged and four, comfort.

10. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    The staggering series of losses you have suffered, culminating in the sudden and unexpected loss of Faelee is unbearable most days, I'm sure. She was just so beautiful. It sounds like the same cancer that took our Brooke. First symptom was a sudden collapse. We were lucky to have her another 4 months but it was simply hospice care.

I'm sure you can't even fathom it right now, but I truly hope that the universe will drop another Sheltie into your lap when you are ready. Of course it often seems to happen to me even if I'm NOT ready. If and when that happens I hope that it can bring you joy and comfort to continue having a Sheltie in your life. Sending you so much sympathy and love, Trini. You've been there for many of us with our own losses. :hugs