Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Out of practice

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by Piper's mom, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    It's been a longggg winter here and Piper definitely needs some work and I need to make it more fun for him!
    We attended an obedience match this past Sunday and yikes Piper...what happened?
    On the first article he walked to the pile then got distracted by another dog (didn't take much lol) then proceeded to start to return to me, went around me back to the pile and even though he knew which one was mine he wouldn't pick it up! His heeling was horrendous, was forging and even when I'd slow down for a turn he'd bump me.
    On the retrieve over high, I threw my bell perfectly in the middle of the jump and yet he went to go around it!!!
    On the broad jump he didn't jump but walked it (I've been putting his height at 13" when he's 13 3/4 and they use 2 boards with 8" between them)...I'm changing his height to 14" so they'll use the three boards. An 8" gap is too tempting for them and too much risk.

At our Monday class we were working on these issues and already he's much improved. We have 2 months to get back in form and I'm not too worried. At least he's not off his glove or his bell lol.

KarenCurtis, ghggp and Calliesmom like this.
  2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    it's amazing how quickly they forget what we are supposed to be doing........
    Jocu's heeling is terrible currently- got to get better for rally and eventually beginner novice......

KarenCurtis likes this.
  3. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I know! Geez, it's like Piper forgot everything lol. At least it won't take too long to get him back in form (him and me both lol). Not like last year when I got Finnie and Piper went off everything! I missed 5 trials because of that. I figured why enter when we'll just NQ.

Calliesmom likes this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Oh my, he will come around as we know he is a star!

Now Liam won't come when called! Beau is so stubborn and won't come unless I say cookies or cheerios!
    He is setting a BAD example for Liam!

5. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Try having treats in your pocket at all times Gloria...it won't take long before the come running the first time.
    Come is always treat time and always make a big deal about it. Never give them heck when they come...(sometimes it's hard not too lol).
    Finnie has a great recall and Piper used to (he does in the ring lol) but in the yard sometimes he ignores me. I need to start cracking down on that too!

Calliesmom and KarenCurtis like this.
  6. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    :lol:Q:lol::lol: Don't you love yelling COOKIE really loud early in the morning? I yell POOP, PEE, then COOKIE!!

ghggp, Piper's mom and Calliesmom like this.
  7. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    whatever works:winkgrin:

Piper's mom likes this.
  8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    puppy jealousy- at least it's at the point where you can use it now:winkgrin:

Piper's mom likes this.
  9. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Sometimes I yell BANANA :ROFLMAO:...if they're barking and I need to get them in fast :lol: or cookie or NUMMY :lol:.
    Neighbors must think I'm nuts lol!

10. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Well 3 weeks back into classes and Piper's got his groove back! He's still moving a bit at times (today when I left him on signals) and sometimes on the stand for exam so we'll keep working on those. I've got to say though, I've been getting GREAT tips from my trainer...ever since he was a pup I'd say 'back' when he'd forge and yet to this day it continues. She told me to say heel and correct when he forges and what a difference it's made in just a few minutes! I'm also saying 'sit' when I halt as a reminder to him and now instead of him taking an extra step and backing up (where we lose a 1/2 point) he now sits as soon as I've stopped!
    We'll see if all this makes a difference in 8 weeks. He's already working better than last year. Now I just have to work on me!

ghggp, Ann and Calliesmom like this.