Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Oversized puppy

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by atjl, Apr 9, 2018.

1. atjl

atjl Forums Novice

Apr 7, 2018
    Hi! This is my first post. And my first dog! Izzy is now 20 weeks old. Her height is 15.7” and her weight is 19.4 lbs/8.8 kg. She’s almost out of the sheltie growth chart already!

Anyone else have/had an oversized pup? Just looking for some reassurance here :D How big did your oversized pup grow to be?

Unfortunately I don’t know what to expect for Izzy’s fully-grown size as I was not allowed to meet or even see photos of her parents :(

2. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

Gavin is 18" and 30-35 lbs. He is my super sheltie :) He was the big one in the litter, his brother was small but both parents in size. It's generally not a good sign if you aren't allowed to meet the parents or see a picture :(

3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Cara is right...It's a big warning flag when the breeder won't let you see the parents, show you the pedigree and proof of health testing. That said, Izzy is probably a wonderful dog and will be a great companion to you. But it sounds like she will be big! Even show litters have oversized puppies, so it's not unheard of. She won't stop growing until she has her first season, or if you have her spayed, when she's about a year old. She will probably end up more than 30 pounds. As long as her structure matches her weight, she'll be fine. You'll just have more of her to love!

ghggp likes this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    image.jpeg In addition to my 3 year old who is a mere 15 " tall I also have a 10 year old who is 19" tall and weighs 38 pounds (a lean 38 pounds...no fat on him)! I haven't had him from a pup but I've known him for years and he was bigger from the get go. He is also a sweet loving boy with all the Sheltie characteristics, just on a bigger scale. Heres the two of them together where you can see the size difference.

KarenCurtis, SRW and ghggp like this.
  5. atjl

atjl Forums Novice

Apr 7, 2018
    Yes, I know :( Thank you for your concern though. I did get into the issue in my original post but it got so long and rant-y that I cut it out before posting.

I had done all my first-dog research and quite confidently went out with the idea in mind to choose an ethical breeder, but since I’m from Singapore (small country, 6 million people!) where most people get their pets from kennels (previously reported to have puppy mills) and pet shops, it was difficult for me to find a breeder on my own just by using Google etc.

After a month of online searching and two weeks of going around the island meeting puppies (at this point I had not made a concrete decision of what breed I wanted, since personality was most important to me) I found Izzy.

Long story short I got attached VERY quickly unlike the other puppies I’d met and been considering. The pet store attendant says I can meet the breeder and parents - but only if I am a serious buyer. When we come back to meet Izzy again it’s the store owner and she tells us we cannot meet the breeder because they are ‘very private people’ and don’t want to share photos of their dogs. Warning sirens go off in my head but by that time I knew Izzy was the one and honestly there was no going back

The pet shop had a grade A rating by our government’s Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority and they also did a parvo test on the spot before we took her home... so there was at least that :/

I did feel really bad about it for a long time because not knowing anything about her parents really unsettled me, but she’s doing great so far, a big and healthy girl! (Here’s a pic of her https://ibb.co/hofLnH)

In the future I’d love to have a second sheltie, and now I know better of course!

Ann likes this.
  6. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

no judgement intended. i just meant the parent are more likely to be out of size

7. atjl

atjl Forums Novice

Apr 7, 2018
    No worries! Totally get what you meant.

8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    IMG_7395.JPG 2014 Christmas from Laddie Chance and Logan2sm.jpg Well, my tri boy Baron, who I adopted last year was 40 lbs when I got him! He is now 38! He is a huge Sheltie! I did get him from a great breeder. However, he just ran big although his brothers and sisters were in the normal range! Just more to love! My beloved Mr Chance was huge also! Laddie ran large too... actually more tall! Logan on the right is the only proper sized Sheltie I have owned. Then again, he was a retired show dog!
    As I have also adopted rescue Shelties you never know their background either! However, I agree and understand that never ever should you purchase from a pet store... as you understand now.
    No matter the size I always go for temperament too! To me that is the most important! Then again, I never have shown in conformation. I only do obedience work.

KarenCurtis likes this.
  9. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    well Izzy is a cutie- I can see why you fell in love with her:yes:
    it's hard for us in the US to understand how hard it is to find well bred shelties in other areas of the world. We have had some other people from Singapore on the Forums but they haven't been active in a while and it's hard to find their posts when you don't remember what name to look for. I almost want to say that their shelties were from Australia or some other larger country as they had trouble finding shelties in Singapore.
    I know that you and Izzy will have fun together and that's what really matters:smile2:

10. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Size can really vary in shelties. My girl Spirit is a tiny 12 1/2 inches tall and weighs about 12 pounds, but has a brother who is oversized (so over 16 inches and probably close to 30 pounds)!