Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Paranoid Sheltie Mom

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Elei, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Elei

Elei Premium Member

Jul 10, 2019
    I know only other dog people would understand this..

Kip gave me a terrible scare last night. Spoiler Alert: Kip is totally fine!

I woke up around midnight last night because I heard a noise outside my door and I was pretty sure some wild animal was trying to break into the container I keep my pet pigs’ food in. Or maybe one of my pigs had gotten loose. I didn’t want to go check because Kip was sleeping right next to me and I didn’t want to wake him up.

So I was listening to this noise and after awhile started wondering why Kip hadn’t woken up. It was pretty loud. Normally sleeping with Kip is like sleeping with a hot water bottle- he’s so warm. But I realized I didn’t feel any heat coming from him. Kip was sleeping on his back, leaning against me like he likes to do, so I put my hand on his chest to reassure myself that he was ok. He felt kind of cool and didn’t move at all.

At that point I panicked. I shook him but he just flopped side to side and didn’t react. I thought he was dead! I stuck my finger in his mouth to see if his gums felt warm, shook him, yelled his name. I was fumbling for a light, when he finally woke up, totally unfazed by his panicking paranoid mom. He just put up with me making a fuss over him, then went back to sleep with his nose right by my ear so I could hear him breathing. That made me feel better.

I know it’s ridiculous - why would a healthy young dog die in their sleep? But I was so freaked out!! Today I am just very relieved to have a live Sheltie. I think I need one of those baby monitor bracelet or sock thingies so anytime his heart beat or breathing is irregular an alarm will go off... Poor Kip. There is nothing wrong with him - but his mom is nuts!

Hanne, Caro, JacqueZ and 8 others like this.
  2. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    You are not nuts, I would have reacted the same way. Zulu does that sometimes too. He is usually up as soon as my alarm clock goes off, but sometimes he does not move, and the first thing I think is something is wrong. Then he gives me that WHAT?? look.

JacqueZ, Sharon7, Calliesmom and 4 others like this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I agree, you are certainly not Nuts! Just a very concerned Sheltie mom! We all would have reacted the very same way! Just relieved you gave the spoiler alert or I would have had a heart attack until I got to the end of your post!

4. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Wow that was some deep sleeping! I wonder what would have happened if you had opened his treat container? ;)

5. Elei

Elei Premium Member

Jul 10, 2019
    I didn’t want to scare anyone!!

Oh, I forgot to add what caused the noise that woke me up and started the whole thing. 2 mice in an empty cat food bag rummaging around for crumbs... I can’t believe they made so much noise!!

JacqueZ, KarenCurtis, Sharon7 and 6 others like this.
  6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Having had that happen to me (Riley passed away at home) I can totally understand how you must've felt! Of course I've also given Piper a shake or two in the middle of the night as well! Lol
    I'd say ewwwww to the mice, in fact I don't think I could've fallen back asleep after hearing that noise, but I would've been too afraid to look:ROFLMAO:!

7. Darren

Darren Premium Member

Nov 1, 2019
    You're not alone, Elei. I've also done that with Monty recently and it gives you a huge fright when they don't respond.....the little £$£$ :ROFLMAO:
    Great to see everything worked out in the end haha

Hanne, KarenCurtis, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    I'd have been right there too.....:yes:

KarenCurtis, Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  9. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    At 14.5, Layla sleeps so deeply that I check to see if her chest is moving. Being deaf, nothing but a touch wakes her -- and sometimes she does the flop Sheltie thing, too.

10. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Not nuts - I would have panicked a bit too, especially with a young dog. The seniors, they do sometimes sleep so deeply that it's hard to rouse them. Glad he's OK and you'd better check your head for gray hairs..... :lol:

Hanne, KarenCurtis and Piper's mom like this.