Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Paroxysmal Dyskinesia Genetic Testing

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by SKNerissa, Sep 22, 2022.

1. SKNerissa

SKNerissa Forums Enthusiast

Dec 3, 2013
    Kelowna, BC, Canada
    I hope this is the right category to post in. I am wondering, has anyone in Canada had genetic testing done for Paroxysmal Dyskinesia in shelties? If so, which variant(s) were tested and how did you go about getting the testing done? I understand that the PCK2 gene is of particular importance when testing shelties.

As a bit of background, Riley is now 10 years old and has a diagnosis of Paroxysmal Dyskinesia. His breeder passed away and I am trying to decide if I should try to find a breeder that has used the lines he is from in their breeding program. He has the correct temperament, drive and alerting qualities I will be looking for in his successor but then there is this genetic condition that I would want to be able to screen for if choosing a puppy that is related. So my first step is to find out if he has one of the known variants that causes this condition.

Piper's mom and Ron Atkinson like this.
  2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    You might try contacting the Canadian Kennel Club. They might be able to help give you some direction. Good luck!

3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I agree with Ann…you could try CKC and go to their list of breeders. I’m not sure how many breeders you have in BC but we have several (at least 5) close to where I live in Winnipeg and I have no doubt any of them would be willing to answer your questions.
    We have a local (Winnipeg area) Sheltie group and I checked and you do have one also in BC which has breeder links….here’s the link for it http://www.shetlandsheepdogclubofbc.com/SSCBC/Breeder_Referral.html
    Hopefully a breeder would be willing to answer your questions (I have no doubt that they would…most breeders truly care about the betterment of the breed and if there is something more that they could do I’m sure they’d welcome the information).
    I wish you luck that you find someone who tests for this and can help you. I will also mention to my breeder and see if she tests for this…good information to have.

SKNerissa, KarenCurtis and Ann like this.
  4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    that is one that I have not heard of before- will have to look into what it is......................

5. SKNerissa

Dec 3, 2013
    Kelowna, BC, Canada
    It's a pretty recently recognized movement disorder that is often mistaken for seizures. Here is the concensus statement from 2021 on the classification of Paroxysmal Dyskinesias and related conditions: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jvim.16108

Ron Atkinson and Piper's mom like this.
  6. SKNerissa

Dec 3, 2013
    Kelowna, BC, Canada
    Thanks, I'll give this a try!

Ron Atkinson, Ann and Piper's mom like this.
  7. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    so how was your dog diagnosed?
    I'm wondering if this is what Jocu has................

8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    I saw that you can do a genetic test. Embark offers it I believe.

9. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I will need to look into that...
    thanks for letting me know....

Ron Atkinson likes this.
  10. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    SKNerissa and Ron Atkinson like this.