Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Paws and cold weather!

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by Wendy C, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    Hanne, Calliesmom, Ann and 2 others like this.
  2. HikerDog

HikerDog Forums Regular

Jan 28, 2019
    I'm interested to see the responses. Toby will be around seven months by the time we encounter snow here. We did end up getting him this dog-friendly salve for his paw pads that is supposed to moisturize and protect them - figured it would be helpful when they begin to salt our sidewalks.

Calliesmom and Wendy C like this.
  3. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Funny, I was just thinking of cold weather and Brodie today! I was thinking of getting Brodie booties to protect his feet on walks, just need to find some.... In CT, they use this really harsh liquid stuff on the roads that eats through cars, pavement, last winter I didn't walk Brodie due to it. I want to get him a pair of booties to protect his feet so we can still walk, and then buy a few pairs of backs ups for throughout the season.

Cooper has a gorgeous coat! How big is he now and how much does he weigh? I LOVE his coloring!

ghggp, HikerDog and Calliesmom like this.
  4. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA

I wondered about boots, but Coop is quite the chewer...3 toys went in the trash the other day, I have visions of him walking and chewing. Does anyone else use boots? I haven’t measured him lately, but he is just over 25 pounds. He turns 8 months next week. We just had someone ask us today if he is a mini-Aussie I thought we would be done with that by now. lol. Thanks for the compliments I will pass it on to him! :)

HikerDog, Calliesmom and Sandy in CT like this.
  5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Actually, it's even more important to trim the fur on the paw pads in the winter. In the snow, it will collect snow/ice and turn to pellets or little snowballs. It also reduces the dog's traction. The extra fur on the bottom of the paw makes things more slippery. It always seems to grow faster in the winter too...I find myself trimming paws once a week!

I keep a container of baby wipes by the door that I use if I've walked the dogs anywhere that they've used salt or ice melt. They're handy for cleaning paws.

Watson's Mom, ghggp, HikerDog and 3 others like this.
  6. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    Thanks so much Ann! I also keep baby wipes at the door for when we have had mucky walks so I guess I will keep them there full time. I worry about the salt they use a lot of it.

Calliesmom and Ann like this.
  7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I agree with Ann, I find the snow clumps between the pads if the fur is too long and then suddenly the dog is limping or trying to get the ice balls out. I use Pawz, they don't come off (make sure you try them on in a store to get right size) and once outside they don't even notice them. It won't protect them from really cold temps (but then you probably wouldn't be out in them either lol) but in areas that use a lot of salt it'll keep their paws dry and clean.

Calliesmom, Ann, ghggp and 2 others like this.
  8. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Totally agree with Ann
    I use some wax before we go out
    - it's something they use for sledge dogs (huskies)

Calliesmom, Ann, ghggp and 2 others like this.
  9. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    lol with my seniors I only had to use the patio (we live in a townhome), but Coop is done with that now that he is a big boy and out we go!! Name dropping only as you will get it my fellow Canadian, but I have a Canada Goose Parka and Sorel boots so winter here I come! lol. I am more worried about him I have been looking at Chilly Dog coats (Canadian) my Cocker had one until he was done with the outdoor life. I will look at Pawz...you don’t have a problem putting them on?

Calliesmom and Ann like this.
  10. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I don't have a problem with them but you have to get used to doing it...it's like a tight balloon. I either sit on the floor or on the stairs, stretch the bootie and the slip it over the paw then I pull it up a bit if it needs it. Then I continue with the remaining paws. Piper doesn't like it but once he's outside he doesn't even notice them. I need to get some for Finnie now that he's full grown (he won't fit Pipers).

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    Calliesmom, ghggp and Wendy C like this.