Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Pedigree Lines question

Discussion in 'Pedigrees' started by Calliesmom, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    we'll be putting some pups (all three, hopefully) on the Pedigree lines website soon and have been playing around on there and got confused.

so Jocu's litter had two sires so the biblack puppies had to be tested to determine the daddy. The tri puppies belonged to the tri sire and the biblue puppy belonged to the biblue daddy- everyone else- who knew.
    so yesterday, got an email that Jocu's daddy is the tri.

so knowing that he is pretty heavily linebred, I was playing around on the site- doing trial breedings between his parents. so what has confused me is that Inbreeding: 26.96% if I start with the dam and mate to the sire.
    then it's Inbreeding: 29.45% if I start with the sire and mate to the dam.:eek2:
    I also tried with some other dogs and the numbers change depending on which I start with. I would think it would be the same for any pair of dogs no matter where you start.

so pedigree people- what's going on here?:confused2:

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
  3. HopeShelties

HopeShelties Forums Enthusiast

Dec 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    I'm not sure about why it does that, but your pup is related to my super speedy Ember. She comes down from Bluesman as well :)

4. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Birch is related too. Blueman both sides. He is speedy too.:smile2:

5. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    I see, if you go back a bit in the pedigree, that Alfenloch Ryan O'neil is in the line. He was my Hamish's sire, uncle to my Noah, and in my present dogs' line as well. I also believe that he is in the line of my niece's Max.

I find it interesting to trace the lines and see the inbreeding percentage.

6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    so the speed is genetic:winkgrin:
    he's right behind the big dogs running around the yard- when his legs are a little longer, he'll be keeping up with no problems:yes:

7. SheltieLuver

SheltieLuver Forums Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2008
    South Carolina
    It's just being goofy... it wouldn't make any difference. :):razz:

8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    well- that's what I thought.
    but how do I know which is the right number?

9. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    So Ryan O'Neil is a father/daughter breeding. Then they bred him to his full sister, and got Alfenloch Whirlwind, "Tate" (I think his name was). Tate is the most inbred individual dog I know of in this breed. So if he shows up more than a couple of times in a pedigree, the inbreeding coefficient goes WAY up.

Here is my dog: https://www.pedigreelines.com/dog/pedigree/id/24032

You can see Tate three times in recent lines. Heritage Spirit shows up quite a bit back there. I get between 21 and 28% inbreeding coefficient on my dog, depending on the software.

10. ortegah

ortegah Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    My new puppy also has Alfenloch Ryan O'Neil quite a few times in his line :winkgrin:

He really got around and was a true *stud* lol