Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Peeing while on a leash!

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by Wendy C, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    Cooper will not pee while on his leash for a walk, but will poop. Someone said walk him until he goes, but if he can hold it for 8 hours at night I can’t really walk that far!! lol. Yesterday we went to my Mom’s (age 92) who lives in a seniors building. After the 2 hour crated drive we tried and tried to get him to go...no success and we couldn’t let him loose. Luckily I had 2 pee pads and threw them in his bag and you guessed it he was kind enough to relieve himself on the pads instead of her carpet!! Thank goodness!! He hasn’t used the pads since he was about 10 weeks old. Any idea of ways to get him to relieve himself while on a leash? Thanks for your help as always! :)

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    He is still young. I bet once he matures he will start to mark. Liam did the same at first. But quickly started as he grew older!

I have had the opposite problem where my boys would not poop on walks!

Would he go on the pee pad on leash if you put him outside? Maybe try putting the soiled pee pad and a fresh one next to each other at home and the next time you take him out to relieve himself have his leash on and praise lavishly when he tries to go to the pad and pee?

Wendy C likes this.
  3. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA

We took him for a hike....nothing...came home and took him out to the patio and he immediately went pee!! lol. As we always say...good thing he is so darn cute! I was really surprised that he did so well with the elevator and all the seniors plus walkers and all the attention he got. Right now my 4 year old Granddaughter is here and it seems a ponytail could be a new toy! ha ha ha always something :)

KarenCurtis and ghggp like this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Great socialization!!! Keep up the good work!!!

KarenCurtis likes this.
  5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    How old is Cooper now? Piper and Finnie didn't start to pee on walks until they were about 6 months old. Piper was much easier than Finnie though, I would tell him in the yard to go pee so now he pees on command (and poop too), sometimes at a dog show you need them to go. Don't want them pooping in the ring! Actually, a collie eliminated in the ring at the last Rally trial (poop), I felt so bad for the competitor but clearly the dog had to go. Got us moving to get our dogs outside I tell ya!

Calliesmom and Wendy C like this.
  6. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    Maybe there is hope then as he is 4 1/2 months. lol. We saw a Pug poop at Westminster (hubby took me for my birthday) I thought it was rather cute...he just couldn’t hold it any longer and the judge was taking his time picking that perfect Pug lol.

KarenCurtis likes this.
  7. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    In fact, it is quite natural that puppies do not want to be noticed outside their territory :yes:

Just wait until Cooper does not want to pee in his own garden - it's more annoying :lol:
    - I had to go with my Minnie at least 4-5 times a day.

When she was about three years so I could tell her
    "Now you have to go out to pee before we go to bed" which she still do :biggrin2:
    but until then I had to go out on a night pee trip :wink2:

Sharon7 likes this.
  8. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    You'd be surprised but this issue actually pops up quite a bit on SF. He doesn't know that he can pee outside his territory - after all, you don't. Dogs are not good at generalising - atm he doesn't know he can pee on any grass, it's very confusing. He only poops because he can't hold that on any longer, and any way you're picking it up so he doesn't have to stress to much. You should definitely be cheering (literally) his poops though.

Go somewhere there are other dogs, let him watch them pee, make a big deal with lots of cheers so he sees you think it's great, then let him go over and sniff. I have suggested before if there's no other dogs around find a bush to hide behind and have a pee yourself (works better for men)!

Also, you should teach him to pee on command. At home when he pees say the word 'toilet' (or a word you want to use), so he begins to associate the word with the action.

9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    It's ok if the eliminate in the ring in conformation but in the obedience ring it's an automatic NQ.
    Quite embarrassing lol, when Piper was a year old he pee'd in the ring...I was told to take him to the bathroom and call it a day :ROFLMAO:.

KarenCurtis likes this.
  10. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    That happened to me. Poor Tully, I ran her at the Royal Show and she found it over-whelming so started to pee in the ring! I had to pick her up quickly and ended up with pee all over me! It was a DQ regardless, but at least I saved the ring.

KarenCurtis likes this.