Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Pep talk? - update!

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by tofu pup, Jan 9, 2015.

1. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    OK, this might be another "dog class vent" post...

Betty and I had our first Foundations II agility class last night. Hooray! But honestly, it's kind of getting me down...

The club/class/instructors are VERY firm on one particular (excellent, successful) style of agility training. But... for all that it is a positive-only, fun-and-games class, I'm feeling a lot of pressure and it's kind of getting to me.

The dogs NEED to be toy-motivated. They NEED to be willingly, happily hanging off the end of a tug toy any time they're moving from point A to point B. And the other dogs in the class actually do this really well!

Meanwhile, my dog will tug at home, and she'll play fetch at home, but she doesn't seem relaxed enough at class yet to tug or really be into toys... cookies are good, though. I feel like I've been working so hard, starting in Foundations I and through the holiday break, to help her be more toy-motivated, but she's just not super-into it yet. (The fact that she's even tugging at home feels like a big win!)

The instructor sent out an email today that reiterated that the dogs MUST have toy play and MUST be tugging in class, and recommending the same ideas I've been working with (different styles of toy, toys with stinky food stuffed into them, getting down and rolling around on the floor, etc.) It's killing me because I feel so much pressure around something that should be fun (right? I mean, is it really "play" if I'm mandating that my dog do it?).

I took two obedience classes back on the East Coast with an "old-school" competitive obedience trainer, and for all that it was an old-fashioned class (eg. she was not afraid to recommend prong collars for dogs who need them), I felt so much more relaxed. It was really about "doing what works", for you and the dog - cookies, toys, whatever.

I don't need my dog to make the World Team. Heck, she's six years old - I'm settling into the idea that we'll never even trial together. I really just want the two of us to have fun! And I'm feeling so pressured and worried about this toy thing.

The instructors are lovely, kind people and it's a fantastic club. I just need a little encouragement on this...

2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I wonder, would you feel comfortable approaching your instructor about how you feel? It could be that they're not even noticing that you're feeling pressured or that you feel like you're "behind". I'd like to hope that they're aware of the skill levels, strengths and weaknesses of all members in the class, but it doesn't sound like it.

To encourage you on a more specific level--you absolutely do NOT need toy drive to be successful in agility, no matter what your goals. Bentley wouldn't fetch a toy even if it were covered in peanut butter :lol: and he has his ADCH and is, in my opinion, pretty darn successful!

I'd much rather my dogs be happy and having fun than worry about what it is that is driving them to feel that way (toys, treats, praise).

3. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    I second everything that Ashley said.

Learning should be fun for you and for Betty Cocker and "one size" simply doesn't fit every dog's personality (same with teaching humans). Truly good teachers "get this" and hopefully if you talk to the instructors they will show some flexibility on the toy/tug issue to accommodate different learning styles.

Trini

4. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    No, sorry, toy drive is not required for agility. Is it ideal? I guess. But you can still have a treat motivated dog do agility and be awesome. Same with flyball. Agility is supposed to be fun! If you're stressing out about it, it's not fun. I left my last agility class because one of the instructors and I didn't seem to be on the same page.. ever. I'm pretty lax and don't have any future plans for trailing (but never say never). Basically, if my dog doesn't master a certain skill, I'm not going to beat myself up over it (like I do at flyball lol). I think that frustrated her to no end.

I would definitely talk to the instructor (if you feel comfortable doing so) and make sure she understands that while you're willing to work on Betty's toy drive, she just might not be that type of dog!

P.S. We had a Cocker in our first agility class and she worked for treats. She was great! A little shy, but I don't think that had anything to do with her toy drive.

5. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    Well I would be doomed with Merlin and Sparrow in that class, neither tug! Fortunately I work with trainers who are willing to adapt their methods to suit my dog. Not all dogs tug, and it's not the end of the world.

TBH if I was feeling that much pressure and the trainers were so unable to tailor their methods for individual dogs I would be looking elsewhere for training.

That was one reason I changed agility clubs, because the trainer I was with had one fixed way to train something and it did not suit Merlin.

6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Megan, I have never met anyone who trains a dog as well as you do, and I have dogs you've trained that prove it! :yes: I don't know much about agility training...years ago when I did it with former Shelties, it wasn't one-size-fits-all. And I've never had a toy-motivated dog, ever! They're all foodies.

IMO if you're stressed, Betty will feel it and it won't be fun for either of you. I second what others have said about talking to the instructors, especially if you like them and think they're reasonable. If Betty works well for treats, I would hope they'd accept that.

You also need to consider Betty's history. I wouldn't want to stress her with a type of baiting she doesn't understand. As you said, this should be fun for both of you! You've come a long way with her. Keep it positive.

7. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks, everyone. This is exactly what I needed! :hugs

I think part of it is that I tend to put a lot of pressure on myself - I want to be a good student (I think I was a Sheltie in my last life :lol:), so I take things very seriously and get a little more worked-up than I need to sometimes.

Our club does ring rentals, so I'm going to start setting aside some training time each week to just hang out in the building with Betty and have her do her "easy" stuff (nose-touches, recalls, hi-fives, a little heeling, with lots of cuddles and cookies). I think that'll help us both be less stressed when class time comes. Less stress in class -> happier pup -> maybe a little toy play? But no pressure.

And I'll definitely talk to the instructors if it comes to it. Hey, I'm paying for the class time, and if something's really not working, I need to speak up for myself and my buddy! I also need to stay tuned-in to Betty and to myself and keep FUN as our #1 priority.

I'm attaching a picture as a thank-you... Betty says, "I do too play with toys! I just prefer to snuggle with them."

Attached Files:

8. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    I really dislike instructors that state your dog must do this and be motivated by this or you or your dog can't progress. It really says to me that they don't know how to teach if the dog doesn't conform to the type of dog they are used to teaching.

Systems are great but the really great instructors and teachers can think outside the box for those individuals who are not motivated by whatever they are used to doing. I changed instructors 5x before I found such an instructor. She is known for having non traditional breeds in her classes even though she runs BCs herself. There are those who say I could do better but I am comfortable and happy with my instruction and that is what matters.

Of my 5 shelties who I have trained in agility, only Birch and Celtic are super toy motivated and tug like fiends in class. It is genetic and inborn I tell you, though I have built it up too. Diva loved toys and tugging but she was luke warm to it in class. She would rather run in class. To her just doing agility more motivating(Birch too). Justice liked toys ok but food more. Ember had no toy drive, zero zip none. I did teach her to tug but she did it only to get food.

I would talked with your instructor or be looked for a different class. This is supposed to be fun.

9. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Destin is my most toy oriented dog and he doesn't tug at class. His fetch is also lacking there. He will chase his ball but he won't pick it up and bring it back like he does at home. he's pretty much non-stop at home- even if one of the other dogs gets the toy- he's the one who eventually brings it back to continue the game:wink2:
    I hope that your instructors are open to listen to their students- otherwise......

10. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    What a sweet face...Betty is just not into "toy abuse"...her toys are her pals to be cuddled with and not hurt. :smile2:

Trini