Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Pepper’s first heat and we’re all suffering

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by jomuir, Mar 1, 2020.

1. jomuir

jomuir Premium Member

May 10, 2011
    detroit
    Heaven helps us is there a doggie version of Midol? Pepper is over the top nutty this week and driving us all crazy along with her. The goal is to wait until she’s over a year old then spay, she is 11 months now so this madness will be over in 4-6 weeks thank goodness.

How do people who choose not to neuter live with this a couple times a year?!?

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Poor you! Sorry to hear how bad it has been! Never having an intacted female for years. Good luck!

3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Poor you! Sorry to hear how bad it has been! Never having an intacted female for years. Good luck!

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    My last female was a Cocker but much different personality than a Sheltie. Imagine though having a male marking ALL the time from 1 1/2-2 years old...that was Piper! Don't know which is worse, boys or girls that are intact.

Ann and Wendy C like this.
  5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    It isn't easy, believe me! And when you have more than one girl, they tend to bring each other into season so you have multiples at one time! Argh!! But it's worse if you have male dogs too ... then it's a real nightmare. Boys howling, girls snarling...oy! :cautious:

My favorite dealing-with-heat story is about Checkers. She would sneak off into another room and I'd hear the telltale riiiiiiip sound of the velcro as she pulled her panties off. In the middle of the night too! :banghead:

Hope Pepper settles down for you. All three weeks aren't usually bad, if that helps.....;)

6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Urg, don't tell me this. My new puppy will have to stay intact for showing, this sounds like torture.

Sandy in CT and Wendy C like this.
  7. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    When we got Ally at 1.5 years, her breeder assured me she would not come into heat anytime soon..... 2 weeks after she was with us, guess what? Talk about unprepared. She was nutty too. She would hump poor Asta's head with a gleeful look on her face. We all suffered through it and then got her spayed ASAP!

Sandy in CT, Caro, Wendy C and 2 others like this.
  8. jomuir

jomuir Premium Member

May 10, 2011
    detroit
    Omg that’s hilarious! They can be so funny.

Sharon7 and Wendy C like this.
  9. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    It has never been normal to neuter dogs here in my country. :no:

But now a little with female but definitely not with male dogs.

Wendy C likes this.
  10. DianeP

DianeP Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    Mindy went into heat at six months, the day before we came home from a two week vacation! It was quite the circus for the next month. She hated her panties but then would bark at them when we took them off. We had to hide the clean pair or she’d carry on barking at them. She spent a lot of time dragging her bed around and after she was spayed she had a mild false pregnancy and carried one toy around with her everywhere she went. If she got separated from it, she cried. We named it “baby” and still call it that.

good luck to you getting through it!

Sandy in CT, Caro, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.