Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Personality differences between coat colors?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Pam, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    I was wondering if people find that different coat colors (maybe because of lines?) tend to exhibit different personality traits?

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I've always heard that Tri's and bi-blacks tend to be more hyper but I don't know that there's any real evidence of that. I do know that we nicknamed our one Tri, Ivy, Psycho Puppy because she certainly fit that description. Our sables have all been pretty mellow after puppyhood.

3. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    I have 2 tris. One is much calmer than the other.

4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Sable merle, sable, biblack, biblue- all have different personalities but I don't think it has anything to do with color.......

5. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    We had a sable (Hollie) and she was the perfect most well behaved dog I have ever had. Always wanting to please us.

We now have Shelby the bi-black. She couldn’t be more differ than Hollie. She is extremely independent and was quite challenging as a pup. Always trying to push the limits to see what she could get away with. And she could care less if she makes you happy or not. But she is now almost 8 years old and is just a perfectly adjusted girl who loves everyone

6. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    The responses are very interesting. Funny I had a tri (Shadow) before Beau who was the calmest, most gentle dog I ever met. He never chased anything except balls. He had the softest mouth you can imagine and my boys could do absolutely anything to him. He wanted to please 24/7. But he wasn't crazy about other dogs--more a people dog. Now I have Mr. Beau (a sable), who is very sweet but very independent and strong-willed, very much I will do for you if you make it in my best interest. He is training up wonderfully and I can do almost anything to him from brushing to teeth, etc and he is learning nicely but very hyper, very much the chaser, and very much trying to be "the boss", nose pushing to ask for things, etc. Beau loves all dogs, and all people. He is kind of a dog's dog. Very funny difference.