Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Pet Stroller

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by Cindy, May 3, 2018.

1. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

So Gavin is on a long term at home PT schedule to build up muscle in his hind leg. I want to get a pet stroller so I can walk him farther and just wheel him home when he gets tired as well as wheel him to hills/stairs/etc for short exercises...Any suggestions? He is 35lbs.

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Cindy, So sorry that Gavin is struggling. I got a stroller for Mr. Chance and he loved it! Near the end, I took him out when he could no longer stand and walk for any great distances. It was the best money I ever spent. Took hour long walks and he could sniff the air and look around and enjoy himself! I highly recommend them! I took a few photos and also posted a review on Amazon for the product. Chance was 35-40lbs. Unfortunately, Amazon no longer carries that version. However, found this item that looks similar...
    Paw Essentials JX-058 Expedition Pet Stroller

https://www.amazon.com/review/R27D1ICF2NWP1/ref=pe_1098610_137716200_cm_rv_eml_rv0_rv
    Pet Gear Expedition Pet Stroller for cats and dogs up to 150-pounds.
    2017-03-21_8-10-20.jpg 2017-03-21_8-09-42.jpg

Hanne likes this.
  3. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

ghggp likes this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    looks good... I think the three wheels might be more maneuverable than the 4 wheel version I had!

5. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Check with Ann - I remember she posted about a stroller she used that seemed lightweight. I remember thinking about it for Ally. I think it's a great option, Cindy. Hugs to Gavin.

6. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

stability outweighs maneuverability every day!

7. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    I've got 4 strollers for Mr D. My most recent one is exactly like the one you posted. One I adapted and the other 3 are brought. 2 things you may want to think about - Are you able to lift him in and out? If you aren't you'll need to check how low it is to the ground. Deska likes to get in and out - he likes to walk, rest, walk - so the one I use the most is the one that's easiest for him to get in and out.

And the second thing is check the weight - this will matter if you are putting it in the car. The one you posted I keep at the front door, it's heavy but I don't need to lift it. I have a lighter one I leave in the car.

Deska also will not lay down in a stroller so it has to take him standing, and he is really long. My first stroller I got based on his length, but it was really designed for a bigger dog and weighed a lot more than he does. Then my later ones I realised he was happy sticking his head out the front so didn't need to worry about length as much. I also have to walk on uneven surfaces so prefer the ones with inflatable tyres. I've attached a pic in his Dutch Dog stroller. Crappy brakes but easy for him to get in and out and he's close to ground so can sniff at things - I think his fave. Deska dutch dog.jpg

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    SheepOfBlue and ghggp like this.
  8. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

I like the idea of low to the ground :) He is easily liftable, but I have no idea if he will lay down or not. Guess I will find out! Weight is not an issue, it will be a workout for me as long as it is collapsable. I ran into a neighbor last night, and her older greyhound has lost a lot of muscle mass as well, but not as much as Gavin (or just in one leg)

Stroller Coming on Monday, so hopefully we can test it out soon :) Condo is being tented next weekend, so things are a bit at 6s and 7s.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    My sister has one similar to Caro's and she loves it for her dogs (her dogs are smaller but I think it will hold a larger dog.

10. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

It arrived! a big soft crate on wheels! Was a pain assembling as the material hadn't stretched enough to fit i the handlebar. Gavin laid right down when I put him in and had no issues as I wheeled him up and down the walk.

I will test it out proper soon. It fits out my front door but it does take up most of the sidewalk, good thing I have a bike path near me!