Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Picking a name

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Piper's mom, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    IMG_1561.JPG So my boy is almost 5 weeks old (I've decided he's the one even if the breeder hasn't yet lol), he's very inquisitive...goes off on his own to check things out and definitely not shy at all. I've selected my holiday time and told the breeder that April 15th will be the day he comes home and she's fine with that but now I need a name and for some reason I can't decide on one I like (I really think I'm over thinking it). I want a name that's short but with some pop (a good obedience name) but then also has to have a CKC name that works with it. So frustrating lol plus only 5 1/2 weeks to go! I also need to puppy proof my house so for the next while I need to start looking at things from the puppy's perspective and make some changes. Any suggestions on names? Here's a picture of him from my visit yesterday.

Hanne likes this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Forums Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    First thing that popped into my head looking at the photo was "Blaze". He is really a cute little guy. :) Good luck; it's so hard to pick just the right name!

Piper's mom likes this.
  3. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    He's just precious!! Do you get to pick the registered name as well? How did you pick Piper? It helps knowing kinda where your head is at.

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Yes I get to pick the registered name as well. Funny story on Piper....I took almost 2 months agonizing on a name for a girl and I'd settled on Una but the breeder couldn't decide on which girl to keep so at 8 weeks I decided to get a boy. Went for a walk and bam....I decided on Piper! But that hasn't happened yet. Perhaps I'm just not ready to pick lol.

5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    What a cutie pie!!!

I have no ideas on names for but maybe wait and see if he does something to earn a name you like!

When I got my first black Persian cat I took a picture of him and his eyes lit up like little flash blind... hence the name Flash. My second came from Kentucky and was also black, named him Smudge! All the rest of my Shelties came already named. Except Baron. He was so big an stately I renamed him from Ringo.

I went online to search for down g names for him. You could always search this site to see what others have named their dogs that you might like?

Good luck with your puppy proofing efforts!

Can't wait for more pictures!
    Congrats to you and Piper!

Piper's mom likes this.
  6. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Here's a short video the breeder sent me...my boy is the one on the wobble board (his blaze stops and then starts just past his ears). He's a real go getter, not afraid of anything!

Jams likes this.
  7. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    It's funny...my mom and I were talking and I said he's full of piss and vinegar lol and she said how about Vinnie and I gotta say I like it...very good possibility.

8. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Funny how things work...it's going to be Vinnie and registered name Vincent's Lost and Found....maybe...I like this, a play on words with tv show Lost and the dog Vincent.

Pam, Jams, Calliesmom and 1 other person like this.
  9. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    I love that name! Funny how things work out :)

Piper's mom likes this.
  10. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Great name! Love it!

Piper's mom likes this.