Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Picky eating SOLVED

Discussion in 'BARF, Raw & Natural Diets' started by Kaye, Sep 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Kaye

Kaye Forums Regular

Jan 31, 2016
    Portland, OR
    Maddie the Wonder Sheltie was making Mama miserable. Maddie had become an extremely picky eater, refusing her previously-liked canned food, rejecting any kind of kibble (no matter how 'high grade') and generally refusing to eat until she was absolutely starving. Even then, it was clear she was doing so with distaste - you know how expressive Sheltie faces are!

Fast forward.....I had been occasionally offering commercial raw-food nibbles (you know...the frozen ones in a bag, where you just take some out, thaw it, and offer it to the dog). Well, that *always* got devoured. If I didn't mix it in well with the canned dog food, she would just pick out the raw bits and leave the canned food. Once, I didn't have time to thaw the raw nibbles - she devoured them frozen.

Then came the magical day when Mama produced - YES - a raw chicken leg. We went out into the backyard, I made her sit, then offered her the chicken leg. She politely took it, and sat staring at me with an astonished expression. I told her to go ahead and eat it, and you have never seen such dog joy. That chicken leg was devoured with a single-mindedness that was amazing to behold.

OK. Human is not stupid.

I switched her to a raw diet. In the mornings, she gets about 1/4 lb of raw ground meat (beef, chicken, turkey, whatever) with a variety of things added. This morning's breakfast:

1/4 ground beef
    1 egg (with the shell crushed and mixed in)
    Sweet potato (cooked, mashed)
    Minced zucchini
    Sprinkle of pumpkin seeds
    Minced carrot
    Olive oil
    Garlic powder
    Salt
    Brewer's yeast
    Turmeric

Dinner is usually a chicken leg. You should see her face light up when I get the tupperware out of the fridge!

No more picky eater. Maddie devours her meals and licks the bowl. Her coat is thick (vacuum cleaner killing thick..) and glossy, her weight is steady, her energy is good, her eyes are bright - even her itchy skin is calming down. She is thriving.

I'm a fan! No more worried Mama trying to get the dog to eat, it's really almost as easy as giving her a commercial diet, it doesn't really cost that much more, and she absolutely loves it.

One downside: An entire shelf of my refrigerator is devoted to her meal ingredients - dog meat, dog eggs, dog veggies.....*lol*

tesslynn and Cara Sandler like this.
  2. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Spirit went through a picky eating phase too - and that is how she ended up on raw. Similar experience - she adores her food and her health is terrific. Her coat is thick and shiny and she has a ton of energy :)

3. Phoebe'smom

Phoebe'smom Forums Enthusiast

Oct 22, 2015
    I put my last sheltie on a similar diet when she had skin problems. Never a raw chicken leg. How do you keep her from getting it all over her front?

Kaye likes this.
  4. Kaye

Kaye Forums Regular

Jan 31, 2016
    Portland, OR
    LOL - funny you should ask. Usually it's not a problem....today, she had a....well, the only way to describe it is a bloody chunk of bone stuck in the front of her ruff. :p

I picked it out, fed it to her (bonus, Maddie!) and mopped her up with paper towels. Ew.

But she does love them. :)

5. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    Yeah for the human:) she speaks sheltie!!!! Stuff becomes routine if you get organized, and really, I am all for real food for our woofs. :hungry: This is how spoiled my fur brats are, they get bibs for messy foods. It just makes it easy on me. They don't mind. In our changing world of Frankenfood, additives, etc. I feel a bit more at ease knowing what my girls are eating. The proof is in the vacuum full of fur.

Kaye likes this.
  6. Kaye

Kaye Forums Regular

Jan 31, 2016
    Portland, OR
    Exactly! Not only will Maddie actually EAT a raw diet, I feel a lot better knowing exactly what she is eating. And that reminds me... I need to go clean the vacuum cleaner....

tesslynn likes this.
  7. Don shankle

Don shankle Forums Novice

Sep 17, 2016
    Hi,
    My beautiful Shelty girl(3 years old) is really getting finicky when it comes to eating. I feed her Ultra for small breed adults (small kibble) and mix in a little chicken to give it some flavor.
    It is difficult to see her not eat on occasion.
    Any helpful tips will be well received.
    [email protected]

8. jomuir

jomuir Forums Enthusiast

May 10, 2011
    Didn't someone post a pic of their Shelties wearing big bibs for their raw feeding here a few years ago? To keep the bloody bits at bay lol.
    Maddie the Wonder Sheltie must so much happier now that you know what to feed her! I bet her coat will get really glossy soon too.

Kaye likes this.
  9. Kaye

Kaye Forums Regular

Jan 31, 2016
    Portland, OR
    Don, I really can recommend trying her on a raw food diet. Maddie went from ultra picky and finicky to "breakfast mommy breakfast please now breakfast yum yum yum gobble lick all finished". Every time.

10. Kaye

Kaye Forums Regular

Jan 31, 2016
    Portland, OR
    Jo, her coat was beautiful before - now it's SPECTACULAR. Honestly, I took her to the coast a few weeks back, we were trying to walk down to the beach on the main street of the town...and I kid you not, I couldn't go half a block without someone stopping me to exclaim over her!!