Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Pink nose associated with Kennel Cough????

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Pam, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Hi,
    About a week ago Beau suddenly presented with a pink area on his nostril, it looked irritated and his eye on the same side was having heavier than normal morning discharge. He was having infrequent and sporadic sneezing episodes--nothing really worrisome but an occasional many sneezes. After a few days I took him to my vet who prescribed anitbiotics. She also reported that the daycare he sometimes attends has had an outbreak of Kennel Cough. His breathing sounded good and he presented with no coughing or raspiness.

Well, the pink area has grown and a tiny spot formed on the other side. He is no longer having any sneezing episodes but the right eye discharge remains: the eye is not running or really gooky but it has a thick sizable morning discharge. The vet said keep him cool, and rested. Let the antibiotics run their course. But I am worried as the pink is spreading not dissapating. Anyone know anything about this?

2. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
  3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    haven't heard of any association with kennel cough and pigment loss...
    is there hair loss with the pigment loss? could be connected to something else........

4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    It sounds like your boy might have an infection in his eye brought on by the kennel cough. I would think he might need some eye meds to clear up his eye if that's the case....one of my girls is prone to recurring eye infections that have a discharge similar to what you're describing. I have no idea what the discoloration on his nose might be but it almost looks like a skin irritation. How much longer is he on the antibiotics? If his nose and eye continue to get worse I would call your vet again and let him know.

5. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Is it possible he is rubbing his nose with his paw or on something in the house? His nose may be itchy. Like when you get a cold and your nose get raw from all the sneezing and running and blowing.

6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    I agree with the others that it may be something else. You'd know if it was kennel cough - the 'cough' is unmistakable. You mention occasional sneezing, sounds like he may have a cold or infection. Or he could have hay-fever. Pigmentation can change when a dog is sick - like our skin can look paler when we are sick. But other than that I can't think of why he would have a sudden change in pigmentation.

7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Piper had kennel cough last summer...your right Caro, the cough is unmistakable. Almost like a goose honking and they cough and almost gag. If he's not coughing like that it may be something else. Its possible that he may have a sinus infection (is he having any nasal discharge along with the eye discharge?). I'd call the vet and talk to him if the antibiotics he gave you aren't working or the discharge continues.

8. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
  9. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Thanks everyone. I called the vet and she said that when she examined him he had heavy nasal discharge and might be licking his nose which creates irritation. She said to complete full course of anitbiotics, keep him cool--apparently lots of NJ dogs have been sick due to fast change in weather, and keep her posted. No he has no cough whatsoever and has not sneezed even once in over 24 hours. I'm thinking it was some sort of upper-respiratory or sinus infection. We'll see. I was pretty sure he didn't have kennel cough. But now I am worried as he is planned to go to the same place for boarding in August. They are usually so great, not sure why there would be major kennel cough problem there suddenly.

10. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Does your boarder require the Bordetella vaccine? Zulu's doggy day care requires that the vaccine is done every six months. It is a wise business decision, given that it is so contagious. He has been going there since he was a pup, and there has never been an outbreak. If they don't, and you are otherwise happy with them, it would not hurt to have him vaccinated, just to be on the safe side.