Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Piper and Finnie

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by Piper's mom, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Although Piper didn't achieve his title yet I am so proud of my little boy! Upon much reflection (and many talks with many other obedience folk) I have decided not to give up on him and his obedience. Piper is just an amazing little dog and he absolutely loves it. My sister said to me 'maybe he wont do his jump because he doesn't want to quit'...who knows but I do know that for all the love this little guy gives me the least I can do for him is continue to work him as he enjoys. Now I'm planning on travelling to shows when I like the least...October and November, at least this way we wont have a 6 month break between shows (next spring) and I can continue to compete in Rally with both dogs.
    I must say I noticed a definite improvement with Finnie on the Zylkene. He was still raring to go in Rally but not barky as he'd been in July, much better behaved in the ring!
    here's video's of Piper (obedience) and Finnie (his 2nd Rally trial)

Calliesmom, Ann, ghggp and 2 others like this.
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    And Finnie Rally

And as a comparison, here's a video from our last Rally trial in July. He's still raring to go but a bit better controller and no barking!

Ann and ghggp like this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Well, I have to say, Piper looks like he is having a ball! Everything he does is with such exuberance. Right down to his tail carriage!
    His movement is so beautiful! You should be proud!

4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Finnie has certainly come a long way! Way more focus! No barking is a huge plus to keep him attentive to the job at hand! Bravo

Calliesmom and Piper's mom like this.
  5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    I am so very proud of him Gloria, you have no idea!
    I must say I was quite upset this morning but after my many chats I realized this is not at all unusual (the difficulties with Utility). even the judge asked me how old Piper was and when I said 4, he replied 'so young'...I think I have a lot to learn about the challenges of trialling a dog! Also, the biggest difficulty is the lack of trials here, you cant simulate that ring experience and the more times the dog goes in the ring the better they get.
    I should add I'm very proud of Finnie but he's giving me grey hairs lol...he's too wired! I'm hoping once that testosterone is out of his system he'll slow down! But hey....he didn't pee in the ring, actually zero marking both days, and ALOT of bitches around (only the canine variety lol).

Calliesmom and Sandy in CT like this.
  6. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Piper and Finnie mom :wink2:
    You must be so proud of both of your boys
    - they are so talented and enjoy it
    - it's so nice to see how happy they are
    - it must never be ruined, in search of the perfect

It was really a pleasure for me to see :yes:

Sharon7, Calliesmom and Piper's mom like this.
  7. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    technical question- are all your obedience ring gating like that? the netting stuff?
    none of our obedience people would like that style as many dogs are trained to go to the center stanchion for go outs........
    both boys looked great- I could see Piper taking that jump if he was an agility dog- Cran was all about the jumps at his last show....
    I wonder since Finnie is taller than Piper if you might not want to walk a little faster with him? might keep his focus better if you are moving faster.....

ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Some of the gating is like that, others are curtains, others are like lattice. That's why I teach mine to go to a wall, fence(chain link and wood), x pen etc and I don't use a marker (some use a plastic lid). I gotta say, always a first in the ring...he's NEVER taken the jump in practice! But then mat time was on Wednesday but obedience didn't start until Saturday!
    For Finnie if I go faster in Rally then he goes faster! I agree in obedience it does make a difference but he's just wired...it becomes a race with him lol!

Hanne, ghggp and Calliesmom like this.
  9. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Well I'm impressed! I think you should be proud - and as Hanne said, don't ignore the good in search of the perfect - he does look like he's enjoying himself. I kinda learned that lesson Sunday at the ORT - both dogs smoked the first odor, Birch, but failed at the second one, Anise. I had a hard time putting aside the disappointment over the fail and concentrating on the WIN with the Birch. I mean Faith got it in 6.44 seconds, for god's sake! (Which is why her nickname is the Tornado). Eli was fast too at 23 seconds.

I don't think we will compete. I think the dogs LOVE the search, but spending hours cooped up in the car or a pen to wait their turn was not their idea of fun. Eli hates the car anyway as he gets car sick. But, we will certainly continue the classes because the dogs really love them.

It's when OUR expectations of their success get to be too much that it's not fun for them anymore. After all, they live in the moment.

Hanne, ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  10. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    I totally agree! Piper actually loves his obedience (I wish I'd have gotten a video of him in Rally but I'd totally forgot, I even had someone to video us), and Rally...bark bark bark as he talks to me throughout the course lol. Fortunately our obedience is first thing and him being small we're typically first. I've also learnt not to get there too early so he doesn't get bored because all that crate time is very boring!
    Trust me, I don't ignore the good (although I think we'd be closer to perfect if the handler was more consistent, lots of errors on my part) but he's so darned good at it I think he should have that title.
    He gets to be a dog much of the time and that's so important in keeping him happy!