Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Piper, Piper, Piper

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Watson's Mom, Nov 16, 2021.

1. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Premium Member

Mar 24, 2012
    This little pistol of a puppy hasn’t slowed down in the slightest.

House training could be going better.. she can and will hold it if she’s contained. She doesn’t do too much circling if she has to wizz. Just pops a squat if she needs to. As we go out the door, she’s started giving it a small swat… I’m hoping that’s the start of her trying to alert.

Ears- well, the ears are just left to be wild I guess. Her one kept getting red inside so I think she might have been having adhesive irritation. The one that was up dropped down. And went back up again. The very tippy tip looks like it’s start to try coming down again.

We are in a little doggie duo class so she can get some socialization with new people, places, and a pup. Her classmate is this teeny tiny little Pekingese mix and he is absolutely adorable. I could totally steal him. She’s a bit uncertain for some reason but warming up to him and she has gone right over to his owners for some snugs. I’m 100% ok with her not needing to love every dog ever as long as she isn’t terrified or reactive to them. Especially if I can keep her geared toward people.

She went wine tasting in Virginia and was such a good girl. She even made friends with a big old black lab. He owned the winery so felt free to sneak a toy off the rack and brought over to her in the absolute cutest attempt to woo her. They ended up playing and he would toss the toy to her. She met a two year old Newfie too who she had no issue with. I guess she goes for the bruisers; not that I can blame her. :lol:

I was able to get her into a guest spot in a nosework class last weekend. Ho. Ly. Crap. Whoever it was that suggested that for them… this is amazing!!! She did pretty good and seemed to really enjoy it. I think she did maybe ten, twelve super simple “searches” for a single treat in a single box in a little room and she was OUT. Quiet. Calm. Sleepy. It was amazing. It’s a good thing the UPS guy is always dropping off packages at my house because I’ll be setting things up for them until I can get them into some actual classes.

I had been thinking of seeing if she would take too… deer feet. The department and state I work for licenses leashed tracking dogs to help hunters recover their deer if they can’t find it themselves. So, after the intro class we did, I’m pretty sure it’s something she would like doing and might actually be good at. Even if I never actually get the license and use her to track for anyone.

I think Roxy would like it too. Maybe not the actual tracking but she’s pretty smart though doesn’t seem to always be trying to sniff something out like Piper is. But, like was suggested here, the trainer said nosework can be really good for crazy dogs. And I like seeing it now how they are doing it all alone. Gotta get through the busy season at work and another month on Piper. The woman’s minimum is 6 months and Piper just hit five today.

She and Roxy are still thick as thieves.

Attached Files:

Hanne, Piper's mom, Ann and 8 others like this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Love your update; I'd been wondering how Piper was coming along. YES on the Nosework. It absolutely does wear them out because they are using so much of their brain to do the sniffing. My pups crash after their class. And I agree, it is super fun to see them work on their own, basically we are there just to support them and reward when they succeed. I'm glad you and your dogs enjoyed it.

I loved the visual of the big black Lab bringing a toy over for your girl - how sweet is that. Sounds like she is doing great overall and that both dogs get along.

3. Ron Atkinson

Ron Atkinson Premium Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    Glad to hear things are going well for Piper.Sounds like everyone is having fun Awesome pictures, thanks for sharing them.

Piper's mom, Darren and Watson's Mom like this.
  4. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    LOVE the pic of you with your girls!!!!!

Piper's mom, Sharon7, Darren and 2 others like this.
  5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    great pix- love the autumn and fall versions:yes:
    great that Piper is enjoying using her nose....

6. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    I love the snow picture. They have the same ears!

7. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    They really do! I should have named Piper Xerox.

8. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
  9. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    57A79AC3-7D7D-422E-92B9-89B19E2DE3B1.jpeg When you’re just standing there thinking about how much muddier you could possibly get. And a tiny fur missile is incoming.

10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Piper is such a mini me in that pic:winkgrin:

Piper's mom, RikyR and Watson's Mom like this.