Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Piper's FINALLY retrieving the dumbbell!

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by Piper's mom, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I've been working with Piper for the longest time (since last October/November) on holding and taking the dumbbell and it's been a constant struggle. Then two weeks ago I read of another method and I thought what have I got to lose? For the first week when working with the dumbbell I'd put my hand inside his collar at the back of his head and hold the dumbbell in front of his mouth and just say take it over and over until he'd open his mouth, when he opened it I'd move his head forward over the dumbbell and praise and treat. I did this many times per day. Last week I started with the dumbbell in front of his mouth and my hand on his collar. When I said take it, if he didn't I'd correct him (only once, he has to know he has no choice). So the start of week 3 and last night one side of the bell was on the ground and he was taking it. This morning he was taking it off the ground and a little while later he was retrieving it!!! I was amazed, finally...and he's having fun doing it, running to pick it up!

ghggp likes this.
  2. Chris

Chris Forums Celebrity

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Shaping behavior really works!

3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Go, Piper! Good Job! proud mom... as she should be!

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Now missing Piper just to train mom - to come every time he rings the bell and wants to go outside to look for birds and other fun things. :biggrin2: