Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Play time

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Watson's Mom, Dec 2, 2019 at 7:08 PM.

1. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Premium Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Western New York
    Good grief. I was not prepared for the amount of teeth and air snappage that occurs during play time. This puppy is going to end up at the vet with broken ribs because she has zero regard for anything around her when she gets the snapping zoomies. She bounces into the wall. Bounces into the coffee table. Bounces into the end table.

We have aaaaall of the teeth but none of the touch. She’s so loud at play I’m glad she hasn’t yet learned to bark just for the sake of barking. The breeder did tell me her mother was “loud.”

2. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Too funny cuz I just came in from out back where Benson had his last fit of zooming for the day. During said episode he ran head long into the post holding up the patio. With his face. Didn't even slow him down.
    Sometimes when folks say how smart shelties are, I bite my tongue ;)

3. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    Western New York
    Hanne, Sharon7 and Margi like this.
  4. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Looks like Benson has already figured out he can make her run 10 steps for his 1 :)

Sandy in CT and Watson's Mom like this.
  5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    seems pretty standard:yes:
    play with me, play with me, play with me - NOW.....

SheepOfBlue, Watson's Mom and Sharon7 like this.
  6. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    Western New York
    I was definitely not expecting the snapping and teeth on both of their parts this being the first time I’ve had two shelties. But they both seem happy enough. ‍♀️

I thought he would get her tired out but she just gets super wound up. We have crazy play followed by a bit of decompression in her crate so she can go outside before bed and actually so her business.

We’ll have a bit more room at the end of the month when the tree comes down. She of course bounces into that too.

ghggp and SheepOfBlue like this.
  7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    I was just as alarmed at first when I caught Liam bearing his teeth at Beau when playing!
    I call it snout jousting... Here is a video of them when Liam was about the same age as Roxy.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 3:53 PM
  8. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    Western New York
    Yes!! That’s just what Watson does. How old is Liam there? Six months or so? Roxy is just about to turn four. I think she might actually this week.

I was alarmed for sure at first. But even when she does something he doesn’t like he just gives her a loud bark and snarl. She hangs her head in appeasement and they go back about their business.

I’m glad to watch that! I wish our playtime was so quiet. :ROFLMAO:

9. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Actually, Liam was exactly four months in that video. He is a BIG boy - really oversized!
    He did bark quite a bit at first. I had to teach him the 'Quiet' command. He does really well with it.

Sandy in CT and Watson's Mom like this.
  10. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    Western New York
    Oh, he is big! And i thought Roxy was big. She’s almost 15 pounds but doesn’t have nearly the coat coming in yet that Liam does!