Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Playing Catch

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by MissyGallant, Feb 13, 2018 at 9:00 AM.

1. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Premium Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
    My mom's sheltie plays catch. I don't mean, toss the ball, he catches it and runs it back to you. I mean you toss the ball, he catches it then TOSSES it back to you.

None of mine have done that. Do any of you have shelties that toss it back to you?

Margi likes this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Premium Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Talented pup indeed!
    Mr. Chance did it a few times...

3. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    My friend’s sheltie plays catch with himself. He’ll throw a ball or toy in the air and catch it. So cute to watch!

4. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Premium Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
    Cooper and Rocket both do that. You're right. It's very cute. But they don't play catch with me. They'll retrieve all day. But they won't toss it back. In fact, they usually try to drop it a few steps away from me so I have to go get it. I think DH told them to do that to force me to exercise.

5. Cleo2014

Cleo2014 Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    That is pretty neat. I have never see a dog do that before. I must google it now...

6. mimiretz

mimiretz Premium Member

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    Our Samoyed, Mercutio, used to throw his bed down the stairs, then run down and "catch" it so he could pull it back up the stairs and throw it down again. I don't think he ever figured out it was for sleeping on, not playing with,

7. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Shadow never did that but he played "soccer" with my son: would run after ball and push it hard back with his nose and then both block my son getting the ball and try to go past my son's block. Lots of fun.

8. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Zulu loves to retrieve. He has added his own touch to the game. He will drop ball at my feet, and run around my truck that is parked nearby in the driveway. I wait until he comes around full speed, and then I toss the ball. If we are on the other side of the yard, he runs around the storage shed. He dreamed this up on his own, and does it everytime I throw the ball. He also plays soccer like Shadow.

Margi likes this.
  9. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    Yes, Shelby loves to play catch and yes she will throw the ball back to you. It is her favorite game to play. She wil also put the ball between my knees and hold it there until I grab the ball with my legs. DH taught her to catch but I have no idea how she learned to throw or put it between my knees. She just did it on her own.

Our previous Sheltie loved to jump up and bounce the ball off her snout. It was like we would play volleyball.

Margi likes this.
  10. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    Enzo does this too. He’s a master at getting it actually caught between your legs even if you don’t want to! He’ll wedge a toy in there and then darnit you’re playing when you didn’t want to!

Shelby's mom and Margi like this.