Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Please welcome a little non Sheltie to our SN family

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by trini, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    OMGosh Trini, you made me cry. What a sweet little soul - both you and Rugby! It's a lot of work taking on a senior with so many issues, and poor little him for finding himself without a family at that age. I can see beautiful days ahead of him.

ghggp likes this.
  2. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate ny
    Caro, there is so much that is negative and ugly in the world these days, but the rescue that took in little Rugby is really special. Although they have a few younger dogs in foster, they take mostly seniors and doggies with medical issues who would be put down if this rescue didn't take them. And they do absolutely incredible work saving these gentle souls and giving them a chance to have whatever time they have left living in a loving environment. Yesterday when I was picking Rugby up there were two other families there who had come to adopt senior doggies...one took a 15 year old totally blind doggie and the other family adopted a 12 year old doggie with advanced cancer who has only a few months at most to live. There truly ARE many, many good people...and they give me hope for the human race.

Trini

ghggp, mimiretz, Ann and 3 others like this.
  3. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

I think he is a very lucky addition to your family!
    I think the sense of belonging will really help him :)

ghggp and Sharon7 like this.
  4. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    What a cute little Rugby you have opened your home for :yes:

- Trini you are incredibly awesome and so generous and giving :hugsI totally agree with Sharon and Ann

5. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Ohio
    Rugby is so cute, and so lucky he has you. Rugby was the name my son gave his beagle/husky.
    Congrats Rugby with your new forever home with a great care giver.

6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    A BIG, HUGE, WARM Welcome to our newest SN member Rugby! You could not have landed in a more loving home than with Trini! The stars have aligned to bring you together... may your days now be full of love, treats, and compassion you so richly deserve in your senior years!

Trini, I know only too well that seniors require so much additional care and love! Just because they are in their senior years, they seem to be discarded so easily. I just can not comprehend it. And, quite frankly I don't want to!

There is a wonderful organization in Michigan called Silver Muzzle. https://silvermuzzlecottage.com/
    The Silver Muzzle Cottage Rescue & Hospice internationally-recognized program strives to educate others about the problem of homelessness amongst the senior dog population. Through positive promotion, we hope to shed light on the value, beauty and grace of these dogs and the many ways they can enrich the lives of those who choose to foster or adopt them. COTTAGE FRIENDS PROGRAM Our volunteers are the heart and soul of our rescue. Cottage Friends volunteers enrich the lives of our rescues by taking them for walks, hikes in the woods, strolls on the beach and the occasional swim. For Cottage residents who are too limited to enjoy a more active lifestyle, quiet days on comfy dog beds and the companionship of our volunteers is all that is needed. SENIORS FOR SENIORS PROGRAM Through our Seniors For Seniors program, SMC volunteers take our Cottage residents to visit area nursing care facilities. This meaningful activity brings joy not only to the facility residents but to the dogs who participate. Many canines late in their years are often found in area shelters and are quickly euthanized because their age and disabilities make them less likely to be adopted. We recognize that these dogs once gave their lives to someone, or to a family, and for a variety of reasons and factors, now find themselves in a strange, scary shelter environment or set “free” and eventually picked up as a stray. Our team knows these dogs deserve more, that they shouldn’t die alone and afraid in a cage. Senior dogs deserve love and dignity in their final days, months and years. SMC is dedicated to the rescue, adoption and lifelong care of these senior dogs. Contact us to learn more about how you can get involved and help.

I wish I lived closer to help and volunteer! I do donate when I can.

People like you give me faith in humanity. Bless you, for opening your heart and home to Rugby!

Sharon7 likes this.