Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Poop Eater - Help!

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by k9kreationz, Sep 6, 2019.

1. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Premium Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Koji has always been a poop eater, however, he used to eat it to hide it (because he'd poop in the house) and left it alone outside.

I'm not sure how long this has been going on, but I noticed it more since we bought our house with a fenced in backyard. Except, now he likes to dine on the Maddie's poop (the Weim - much more poop than his own; I mean, why dine on a tiny piece of poop when you can have a large one? Ew).

I started giving him a pro/pre-biotic for "digestive health" and well, unless that stuff takes a LONG time to take effect, I haven't seen any difference.

At this point, I don't think it's behaviorial. And looking online, it could be anything. Thoughts?

Calliesmom likes this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Well several of my dogs have been poop eaters also. I don't think it is because they are lacking in nutrition, I think it's just a bad habit. I did have some success with products you can give either or preferably both dogs to eat that make their poop taste horrible. I recall someone said feeding them pineapple will do the same thing - but I'm a bit cynical on that one.

Who knows why??? It must just taste good to them! My solution was to pick up poop right after they go so they don't have the snack opportunity later.

Hanne, ghggp and Calliesmom like this.
  3. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    I have tried everything, nothing worked on Zulu. Walks are no problem, and I keep a close eye on him in the yard. He walks when he poops, so I can usually pick it up before he finishes. I have to be quick, sometimes that booger will spin around a grab one before I can scoop it up!

Hanne, Sharon7 and Calliesmom like this.
  4. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Premium Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Oh no!!! That's not what I want to hear.....as I walked outside and caught Koji snacking again. I need to go pick up.

Ugh. Should I try to cover all the things listed as to why they eat poop (physical issues) before I give up completely? LOL. I have tried feeding him more protein, but truly, I have no idea why he prefers Maddie's (Weim) poop. I wonder if it's because it's big and there's a lot of it? But he doesn't really eat Izzy's (Boxer). Weird, right? (

Calliesmom likes this.
  5. HikerDog

HikerDog Forums Regular

Jan 28, 2019
    I watched a great episode of "It's Me or The Dog" - an Animal Planet show. And this family had numerous pugs who would all eat poop in the backyard. She had an interesting technique to teach them to stop eating it using the "leave it" command. If I can find the clip, I can post it here. Maybe it'll offer some inspiration?

It's also worth noting that the dogs in the episode did it out of a habit they had formed. So if it's a diet deficiency, maybe it won't be all that helpful

Calliesmom likes this.
  6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I'd love some words of wisdom for this issue too.........................

7. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    After 9 years we have given up. We make it a point to clean it up right away. However Shelby is a poop walker and I swear she does that so she can hide some for a snack later on.

RikyR, Ann, Hanne and 2 others like this.
  8. HikerDog

HikerDog Forums Regular

Jan 28, 2019
    I found the clip!

9. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Didn't someone mention recently that Shelties are one of the top breeds for poop eating, so it may be genetic. Thankfully it seems to be in the American genes and not in the Australian or European lines!

I admit, I've never had a dog poop eater (now kangaroo poo is a different matter but all dogs here eat it). So I'll just throw this out there. Could you make a fenced off toilet area?

Ann and ghggp like this.
  10. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Yep, Caro, I posted that shelties are one of the top breeds for poop eating!
    I have caught Liam several times when he was young eating poop! He was quickly scolded and told to leave it! He is so much better now.

Having three dogs I always pickup after they go. Just got into the habit as I get totally grossed out by dogs that will eat poop! So I do not give them the opportunity.

Sharon7, RikyR and Ann like this.