Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Poop Eater - Help!

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by k9kreationz, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Agree with Caro - Minnie is not one of them either

None of my previous dogs has been either :no:

Could the reason be that -as puppies- I was always out with them
    either on walks or in the garden and always picked up after them
    so they could not get a bad habit, I don't know :confused2:

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I'm afraid there is no cure for this. I know, I've tried them all. In my experience, some dogs are just wired for it and some aren't. I do think it's genetic and more prevalent in some lines. Sprite is rabid about finding Checkers' poop. She's not as interested in others, usually. It makes me nuts. I stand out there with the scooper watching so I can race her to the spot.

The other girls will occasionally snack, but only in the winter when it's cold. Go figure. I think it starts in the whelping box...most puppies will eat poop but most outgrow it. It's a disgusting habit, and why I'm out there with a flashlight in the winter at night to scoop! Picking it up is the only remedy I know of.

Shelby's mom, Sharon7, RikyR and 2 others like this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Finnie occasionally likes to 'snack' on poop...no rhyme or reason, he doesn't do it all the time and as Ann mentioned he's more likely to do it in the winter. Funny thing is Piper has seen him do this and since then I've caught Piper trying it out! Just last week there was a piece of poop on the sidewalk (Riley tended to walk and poop everywhere) and I'd gone to get the shovel to clean it up...when I got back to where it was, it was gone! Then I saw Finnie...and I said LEAVE IT!!! Strange but Finnie tended to like Riley's poop better (he was on a different food)...like I said, no rhyme or reason lol.

RikyR, Ann and ghggp like this.
  4. ttexan

ttexan Premium Member

Dec 3, 2013
    Sandia Park, NM
    Pineapple juice over there food or pumpkin mixed into their food. I have found both worked for us.

5. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Premium Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Darnit! I'm so hoping it's not a habit by now. Koji knows "Leave It", I just need to re-train/reinforce it with better stuff than poop. LOL. Thanks for the reminder. I just wish he'd leave it alone. Sigh.

Calliesmom and Piper's mom like this.
  6. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Well, I was finally able to go pick up. I think I know why Koji goes for Maddie's poop. 1. Maddie is a counter surfer which means sometimes, her poop is filled with counter goodies. 2. I've been adding frozen veggies to their food and some of her poop had things like corn in it. Lastly, Koji makes picking up poop a breeze. I just follow him around. Not really, but you get the gist.

Granted, I think I'm still going to work on the "leave it" again, pick up more often (we usually do it twice a week). However, with fall coming, this won't be an issue until next summer again. LOL. May have to try the pumpkin also since I had to open a can to make cookies.

7. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    Nothing worked to stop Bailey from snacking. I just pick it up as soon as she goes. I don't give her any opportunity to enjoy the poop buffet.

8. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Minnie eats poop too, Sandstorm never did. Minnie's Mom did also. It drives my husband nuts. I just arm myself with the scooper, lol

9. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR

How in the world can a breed be known for poop eating? What is wrong with this super adorably cute Shelties?!?! I guess every breed has to have a downside. OMG. I'm dying over here. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Caro likes this.
  10. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Hold on. wait a minute. My super adorably cute Bailey would NEVER do such a thing. No way. Not her. Hehe.

Well, hubby likes to allow Koji freedom outside and Koji's like, BUFFFEEETTTT!!!! And me, I usually keep an eye on him. He probably hates me because I'm always calling him off of it. lol

Hanne likes this.