Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Poor Liam!!!

Discussion in 'General Health' started by ghggp, Jul 26, 2019.

1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    For the past few days I have noticed Liam biting his rear paws! Poor guy seems miserable! I called the vet about it since I gave him an antihistamine to see if that helped.

I also picked up a Hot Spot spray and Oatmeal shampoo! I am going to give his paws an oatmeal bath today.

I have to admit... this has surfaced before in my first female sheltie Kelsey and also Laddie at the same time of year! I think it must be some sort of mold in my grass.

Anyone who can offer advice will be appreciated!

DF6EC9C5-734A-44E8-B626-6EC8747B96EB.jpeg 0D860F61-ACED-452A-B008-FDFD582BBE49.jpeg 9CF6ABD5-5C18-42B5-9985-EEB306C954F3.jpeg 05D17EAD-57CE-4B88-A9CB-5B93E98ABD8A.jpeg

Piper's mom likes this.
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Awwww poor Liam, that looks like it'd be very irritating to him! My last dog (a Cocker) got hot spots...I wish I knew then what I know now.
    Here's an article by Dr.Karen Becker, she recommends using Povidone iodine (also known as Betadine) which is available at most pharmacies. She does recommend trimming the fur around the affected area and an e collar to prevent further irritation. She also says that stress can play a role in hot spot development (my last dog had separation anxiety).

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/pet-health_b_1651962
    I hope Liam is feeling better soon Gloria!

ghggp likes this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thanks, Lisa, I will drop by the drugstore on my lunch break and pick some up!

I am really concerned over putting anything near his mouth as the irritation seems to be there too!
    He seems more comfortable after his foot bath. Thank goodness I work from home and can monitor his chewing behavior!
    He is getting wise to me and sneaks off to the kitchen to bite at his feet!
    I would hate to put a cone on him... I just call him back to the family room where I can keep an eye on him!

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Poor Liam! That looks very irritating. I agree that I wouldn't put any medication near his nose or mouth, but you could do a baking soda rinse or even a paste and that might help a bit. I would definitely check with your vet...he may need something stronger to alleviate the itching for now if it's an allergy. I hope he's better soon! Give him a pat for us.

Piper's mom and ghggp like this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thanks, Ann...
    I am supposed to try the over the counter stuff first which is what the vet's office directed me to do.
    Hope the medical insurance I got for Liam covers any out of pocket costs!

Just called the insurance company and they will cover 90% of anything in regards to this issue.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    Piper's mom likes this.
  6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    41F0CDB0-B496-4D16-BA2E-2C5BA5D07EDE.jpeg I think it is even effecting his eyes!
    They look irritated to me! Red around the eyes!

Piper's mom likes this.
  7. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Yikes, poor guy! I would bet it is an allergic reaction, his poor nose looks so aggravated. May need to try different antihistimines to see what works, I've used claritin which lasts 24 hours so that's the good part. I think benedryl is OK for dogs - can't remember.

If all else fails prednisone will work short-term.

Piper's mom likes this.
  8. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Yes, Benadryl is fine. He can have a 25 mg pill. I'd definitely try that. See if the whites of his eyes are red, that's more of a clue than the rims. I agree with Sharon that he may need some pred if nothing OTC works.

ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  9. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Oh your poor baby! Hope something works!

ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  10. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Here's another article more specific. She does say to dilute it, so perhaps a very diluted solution around the mouth? I wonder if he has an infection that's spread to the mouth from licking his paw?

ghggp likes this.