Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Poor Mindy, rabies vax reaction

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by DianeP, May 17, 2020.

1. DianeP

DianeP Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    Poor Mindy had her rabies shot a week and a half ago. Right afterward she had GI upset. That cleared up and then she swelled at the vaccination site. Benadryl twice a day makes her very sleepy. Poor kid. At least her bump is going down.:(

https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/asPD7d

jomuir, Darren, RikyR and 2 others like this.
  2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Poor Mindy, I’m sorry to hear about her reaction. And rabies is one that you can’t avoid. My Lacey has reactions to some shots. I give her a Benadryl 30 minutes before she has a shot now and that seems to help. I hope Mindy is back to normal soon!

Darren, DianeP and Piper's mom like this.
  3. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    You can get an exemption letter from your vet. Fil threw up and was lethargic after his and I would have freaked if he had a reaction like Mindy's! The only reason I do the rabies is there is a slight chance they could get bit by an infected bat, coyote etc. If I was in a safe area I wouldn't. Just my two cents.
    Anyway here is the Wisconsin law:
    49. WISCONSIN (WITH medical exemption)
    Wisconsin Statutes §95.21 Rabies control program.

95.21(2) (2) Rabies vaccination required for dogs.

(a) Requirement for vaccination. Except as provided in s. 174.054 or sub. (9) (d), the owner of a dog shall have the dog vaccinated against rabies by a veterinarian or, if a veterinarian is physically present at the location the vaccine is administered, by a veterinary technician, pursuant to s. 453.05 (2) (d), at no later than 5 months of age and revaccinated within one year after the initial vaccination. If the owner obtains the dog or brings the dog into this state after the dog has reached 5 months of age, the owner shall have the dog vaccinated against rabies within 30 days after the dog is obtained or brought into the state unless the dog has been vaccinated as evidenced by a current certificate of rabies vaccination from this state or another state. The owner of a dog shall have the dog revaccinated against rabies by a veterinarian or, if a veterinarian is physically present at the location the vaccine is administered, by a veterinary technician, pursuant to s. 453.05 (2) (d), before the date that the immunization expires as stated on the certificate of vaccination or, if no date is specified, within 3 years after the previous vaccination.
    http://www.legis.state.wi.us/statutes/Stat0095.pdf
    (d) A city, village, or town may exempt the owner of a dog from the requirement to have the dog vaccinated against rabies for a year based on a letter from a veterinarian stating that vaccination
    is inadvisable because of a reaction to a previous vaccination, a physical condition, or a regimen of therapy that the dog is undergoing. The city, village, or town shall require the owner to providea new letter for each year in which the owner seeks an exemption under this paragraph.

Darren, DianeP, Ann and 1 other person like this.
  4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Oh dear I'm sorry to hear that! Makes you feel horrible since we're the ones taking them in for that, but it can't be avoided. :( Meadow has her first rabies in early June, now I'm gonna worry. Hope Mindy feels better soon.

Darren and Piper's mom like this.
  5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Poor Mindy! In the future perhaps you could find out if your vet (or another) titers for rabies. Some will titer, especially considering her reaction. At least that way your only vaccinating when absolutely needed.

jomuir, Darren and DianeP like this.
  6. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Poor Mindy - and other US dogs :cry:

Wonder that your dogs react so much to the vaccine,
    I have never seen any reaction either to Minnie
    or my previous dogs. (nor on other vaccines)

I wonder if our vaccines are from other manufacturers and is milder?

Sharon7, Darren and DianeP like this.
  7. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Ah, poor baby. Willow has had intestinal upset from some of the pills and a great deal of stiffness and soreness from some of the annual shots. We're gradually discovering which brands work for her and which cause problems.

Sharon7, Darren, DianeP and 1 other person like this.
  8. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    So sorry about Mindy's reaction!

Darren, DianeP and Piper's mom like this.
  9. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Oh, when they feel so bad they hide!

Darren, Sandy in CT and DianeP like this.
  10. DianeP

DianeP Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    Fortunately, no rabies vax for three years. Next time we will do a titre test and if she doesn’t have immunity, we’ll go for the exemption. Now we have to decide whether or not to do Lyme and Lepto both of which are a problem in our area...

jomuir, Darren and Hanne like this.