Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Positive quiet training help

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by kayla, Mar 31, 2018.

Tags:
  1. kayla

kayla Forums Regular

Aug 1, 2017
    im struggling with her barking in her kennel and my first struggle is right now she’s got it as a habit and she’s doing it cause she doesn’t like it and she prefers to be out or with me. If she’s with me no barking if she’s in the kennel endless barking. I’m going to stop using the bark collar in the kennel from now on. My struggle is she barks and barks and barks and barks with few quiet moments and then it’s basically endless barking and I can only train her at night since I work late that’s the real problem cause my roommates are sleeping.

Cara Sandler likes this.
  2. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    So glad to hear that you're not going to use the bark collar anymore :) I had asked some of my dog trainer friends what they would suggest and here is an article they sent me. Hope this helps!

http://www.caninetlc.com/articles/threebarkrule

3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Would using an x-pen instead of a crate help? Perhaps she wouldn't feel as confined and you could have her crate in the penned area but with the door open? Perhaps she'd get to like her crate and bark less?

4. kayla

kayla Forums Regular

Aug 1, 2017
    I actually started her out with a play pen connected to her kennel and the reason I stopped that is she was gaining bad habits of tearing up stuff and barking for attention.

5. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Have you thought that a sheltie wants to be together with his flock = you,
    it does not want to be closed away, it is contrary to its mind.

I have never had problems with my dogs, but it has also been with me all the time when I have been home so that they have learned to adapt in an entirely natural way.

A sheltie is a herding / working breed and requires experiences.

Never use "methods" absolutely not on such a lovable sensitive race..

After you have used such methods on a little insecure puppy, it will take longer before it feels safe in your company, so take care of it and make sure it trusts you.

Sorry for my bad English

A link to us new Sheltie owners so we may better understand this little sensitive breed.
    http://sheltieforums.com/threads/are-shelties-for-everyone.22964/