Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Possessive Puppy

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Watson's Mom, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Premium Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Western New York
    So, here we are. Quarantined along with the rest of the state. And no training classes or lessons.

Miss Roxy is a possessive little (big) puppy and I don’t know the best way to curtail it.

She’s not aggressive just eeeeeeefffffffing obnoxious. And frantically tries to insert herself in whatever is going on between me and Watson and me and the cat. I haven’t noticed it too with her and my husband.

She gets herself super torqued up and jumps and barks. Same as her normal play type excitement. Even if all it is is quiet pets with Watson or quiet snuggles with the cat.

Anybody have any suggestions? Or is this just a puppy thing I’m going to have to deal with. She’s currently seven months old.

Piper's mom likes this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Well, at my house, puppy or not, I would not tolerate that behavior... I guess I am a strict mom.

They all know, they must wait their turn for treats, food, cuddles, etc! Non negotiable here.

Do you practice the wait command, stay at a sit and for a few minutes at a time?
    Also, the leave it command is good practice to keep them focused and calm!

Sometimes Baron can get assertive! Not in a mean way it just that he is so big he can push the others out of the way! I get after him for it and he immediately backs up!

I start at an early age to be patient ... it has worked for me. No demanding pups here!

Maybe she needs more exercise because of too much pent up energy?

Sharon7 and Watson's Mom like this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    How about leave a leash on her and when she starts jumping correct down on the leash. Timing is EVERYTHING with this of course (you could use a tab or just cut a longer leash down a bit.) and of course praise...lots of that.

4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    At 7 months, Roxy is entering the obnoxious teenage stage. Get ready, it's a ride. She'll push the boundaries, forget any and all training, and make you nuts. I agree with Gloria, extra training is a must, and of course that's really tough with the current restrictions on getting out! If she's pushy and jumping on you when you're paying attention to other pets, turn your back on her. Just stand there and ignore her. You may need to reinforce with a firm "no!"

This is when any additional exercise you can give her helps. A tired Sheltie is a good Sheltie. Whether it's walks, ball, or teaching new cues (be prepared for them to take one day and not the next) she needs to be engaged. If you can find some basic Rally instructions online, I find that's the kind of activity that makes them think and exercises too.
    Take heart, this too shall pass! :gaah

KarenCurtis, Sharon7 and Watson's Mom like this.
  5. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    Western New York
    We’re getting a fence installed in as soon as it gets delivered! I’ll have a tired puppy yet.
    She can go from 0 to 100 even when she’s tired if she sees anyone else getting attention. She’s not really possessive over toys or chews or food. No guarding. Sometimes she’ll come snag a toy from Watson but that’s usually her trying to get him into a game of tug because then she proceeds to push the other end of it to his mouth.

We are currently working on laying the ground work for “go chill” right now using a mat for her. We’ve almost conquered the vacuum. But this is so, so obnoxious. I kind of thought it was going to be partly due to her age. Watson came to us at 9 months... we missed quite a lot of the puppy nonsense and he was always way, way more chill.

Roxy is go, go, go. Do, do, do. I just ordered her a couple new puzzle toys.

I eventually want to get her into agility but the way things are going now, I have no idea when that will be. I guess your right, I need to find some online classes of some sort.

Obnoxious as all get out but then sometimes she just wants to snuggle. I will say that I am so, so glad that she is as stranger friendly as she is FA84DA0D-B3EB-476D-86CB-8F428D2E85E8.jpeg

6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Yep puppy thing-ish. It's all about me me me! But really, it's just that they get a little more subtle about it as they get older. My dogs are very affection seeking so I had to institute the taking turns rule. WIth Deska one would get play and one would get cuddles and we'd swap, now with Della I just have to enforce cuddle rotations, one is on the mat while one gets cuddles. Doesn't stop them trying to push in when they shouldn't. And of course the puppy thinks evrything is about her.

KarenCurtis, Ann, Sandy in CT and 3 others like this.
  7. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    Western New York
    Watson isn’t super affectionate. He never really has been. He sleeps with me every night. I think mostly because he knows when I’m asleep I’m not going to try to pet him. Usually after one or two pets he jumps down. :bored: But I don’t want him to not get what affection he DOES want.

Roxy has a mat and that’s what we’re working on with “go chill”

They do mostly get walked separately so Watson get whatever attention he wants every time we go out. Inside he’s usually snoozing under the recliner legs or in the corner by the door.

I can’t wait to tire her out in the fenced in yard!!

KarenCurtis, Ann, Sandy in CT and 3 others like this.
  8. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Beginning Nosework will wear her out, just get some cardboard boxes or plastic containers and hide food in them all around the house. There's probably online stuff explaining this stuff better, but believe me it wears them out. Faith is my energizer bunny too and after our class she crashes. Plus it's a lot of fun watching them use their natural abilities.

9. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    Western New York
    That’s the sort of new toys I ordered for her. I’m sure I have stuff laying around the house that I can make into more toys.

I was apprehensive at first about them because I had one for Watson and he couldn’t care less but Roxy is completely different. It’s like they aren’t even the same breed they’re so different. I say it all the time, he did not adequately prepare me for a sheepdog.

10. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Take heart. In my experience, it's the ones who are the most challenging that end up being the most rewarding. The work and time you put in with her now will pay off. The yard will be great for her, and nosework sounds like a terrific idea!