Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Potty time bell training

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by BloodyMary, Oct 23, 2009.

1. BloodyMary

BloodyMary Forums Regular

Oct 16, 2009
    Rockford, IL
    Good day!

So Punkin has been doing pretty darn good with potty training (thank goodness) and now I want to work on getting her to ring a bell to let me know when she has to go out.

Do you all have any suggestions on set up? i.e. where to place the bell, type of bell that works the best and has the best sound to be heard through the house, how high to hang the bell.

Thanks for your suggestions....good gracious I'm such a noobie at this. lol.

2. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    I've used this technique once,and for us it worked marvelous. Now it could have been the dog,as she was a foster we had about 4 years ago. Part sheltie & yorkie.

I took some jute,and a medium size bell. Tied one end to the top of the bell thru the little hanger,and the length greatly depends on the dog's height, as to how far it hangs down the door.

We put it right at the length where Jewel did not have to jump up,it was right in line with her nose.As she grew the bell went higher.

To train her,all we did was EVERY time (and it was like every hour 1/2 or less) especailly when we first brought her home,I brought her gently to the bell,lightly touched her nose to it,to make it jingle, gave a small tid bit of a treat,then we brought her outside.

When she pottied,we praised her,gave a treat,and brought her in. And praise was like really making a "big" deal out of it,so she knew she did something great.
    Be prepared,as once they learn it,they may just jingle cause they like the sound or want to play,but just the same,we always brought her out.

I am sure you'll have great luck with it. I may do this as well with Trapp.

3. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    I bought a bell for $1 at michaels and tied it to a string. You should put the bell on the door that you use to take your dog outside. I hung one on my backyard door and my bedroom, because we spend a lot of time there.

I put a treat on the bell and when she rang it I would say "you have to go out", then put her leash on and took her out. When we go outside I'd say "go potty" and when she went I praised her with a treat.

The bell will be frustrating at first. Your puppy will play with the bell. You have to take her out even when she's just playing with it, even if you were just outside 2 minutes ago. This helps her associate the bell with outside. After a few days she'll get bored of playing with the bell and she'll start to pick up that if I ring the bell, they take me outside to go potty. I know some people will not like this, but when she would ring the bell every 2 minutes and didn't go to the bathroom, I'd put her in her crate for 10 minutes, as time out. I actually think this helped her and she still likes her crate.

My dog has tricked me and doesn't ring the bell every once in a while. Sometimes she just sits by the door and when I ignored her, she peed in the house, so be prepared for that as well.

Good luck!

4. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Opposite Opinion on bells....

While its cute to train them to ring the bell, I'm not fond of this.

The primary reason is that I like to be able to bring my boys wherever - my parents house, the cottage, a friends for a visit.....

If the only signal they knew for "I need outside" is to ring a bell, then I would have to carry a bell with me everywhere!

Better to understand the certain "whine" they give when they want outside. I can now tell the difference between
    - whine - I need to pee
    - whine - we want to go outside and play
    - whine, please feed us

A sharp bark, is also a clear give away. This means NOW!

5. BloodyMary

BloodyMary Forums Regular

Oct 16, 2009
    Rockford, IL
    So I've had the bell up for a few days now and have been consistant (sp) on taking Punkin out and ringing the bell, then having her ring the bell, and no luck.

So this morning I was going to take it down. I've got her whines down and she goes to the back door whenever she needs to go out (the only problem has been that if you miss the second she's at the door, it's too late).

But then, mid morning *jingle jingle*, there's Punkin at the door, swatting the snot out of the bell and whining.

It just goes to show ya', it may not seem like it's getting through or that they're paying attention but oh yes, you are being watched.

Hopefully things will go smoothly!

Thanks for your help.

6. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    that's great! I love when Bailey jungles the bell with her mouth. she looks so cute

7. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    I've always been fasinated by the idea of use a bell like this. Question though how do you keep them from ringing the bell when they just want to go out and don't have to go to the bathroom?

My 1st dog (lab mix), I taught to bark at the door to go out. Soon she would bark to go out and then 2 seconds later bark to get back in so she could get a treat. Drove me nuts. I caught on after awhile but the behavior took a long time to go away. I taught all future dogs to just come to me.

8. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Another reason why I don't like the bell.

I can tell by the tone of my pup's bark when they "Need" to go out vs. "want" to go out.

A high pitched yap, means "Now!"

If one pup nudges to go out, than also normally means "Now"! If two pups nudge at me, it means usually "we talked about and it and want to know if we can go out and play"

I also have figured out my pups pee and poop schedule. I know when they generally go and how long they can hold it.

While the bell is real cute as a trick, it's not practical, in my view. But I'll shut up now.

9. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    When Bailey rings the bell, I only take her out to go to the bathroom. There's too many rocks and leaves in my yard, so I don't let her run around. Twice, a day, I'll walk her and I only walk her after she goes to the bathroom as a reward. So, she doesn't really ring it unless she has to go to the bathroom. Sometimes she will just play with it, but when she really has to go, she'll ring it and sit by the door.

10. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    Barb, I definitely do understand your dislike of the bell. I am worried about what Bailey will do when she has the freedom of the whole house. What if we're upstairs? We're not gonna hear the bell all the way downstairs.