Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Potty training, hmmm...

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by KarenCurtis, Jun 4, 2019.

1. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Minnie is so good during the day with this. We take her out every hour, that has worked well except in the evening. When she is playing hard she pees, and pees. In fact, I'm so obsessed with her peeing that I am going more than ever!! Any thoughts? Ofcourse she drinks more water when she's playing so I guess it's water-pee-water-pee, grrr!!!

Ann likes this.
  2. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    I remember that Minnie was going out so incredible many times
    - very early in the evening - one after the other,
    often I just thought she wanted fun, but no - she had to pee every time :hide

Jams and KarenCurtis like this.
  3. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Brodie did oh so well during the day, but the evenings were just a mess. It seemed like we were taking him out every 15 minutes. It wasn't until 5 - 6 months that he was really able to hold his bladder AND play at night. I resorted to a belly band at night; he needed to get his energy out and play with Kooper, I needed a chance to sit for more than 10 minutes at a time. Oh, and don't be surprised if she starts to falter with #2 around the 5 month mark. Brodie, who never poo'd in the house ever (except the crate occurrence which was food related) suddenly began to poo in the house and it was just shortly before he seemed to get the whole #1/#2 routine. Kooper wasn't reliable for the first 5 years of his life, so I feel blessed that we are doing so well (bashing my head on my wall!).

One day at a time!

Ann likes this.
  4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Sandy nailed the pottie-training timeline. Puppies don't have the muscles to control their elimination impulses until they're six months old so, although they hold it well when they're quiet, such as during the overnight hours, activity just brings it on! And yes, there is a regression in training in almost all of them around the 5 or 6-month mark. Just when you think you've got it done.

So you're not alone with those evening accidents. Play does equal pee! Hang in there...it will pass!

KarenCurtis and Caro like this.
  5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    The potty training blues...I remember those days lol.
    Piper caught on quick from the time he was around 12 weeks (taught him to ring a bell) but he'd still have accidents when he was playing in the evening. Of course he slipped many many many times in his training as he got older.
    Just keep doing what your doing and Minnie will catch on.

KarenCurtis likes this.
  6. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    You know, I really think I just had Gavin out to pee like once an hour for a few months. I figured if he had no chance to mess up he wouldn't get used to it. He caught on pretty quick, though. He goes and stands by the door, and then if that doesn't work he would ring the bells, and then he would start to whine...

Sandy in CT likes this.
  7. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Thanks all
    Minnie is so good during the day, late afternoon, and early evening. But after that if we don't take her out every 15 minutes, and tonight even after she had just been outside- she peed. Oh well, at least her ears are holding! :lol::lol::lol:

Sandy in CT and Sharon7 like this.
  8. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Tully came toilet trained, thankfully, because she toilet trained Mr D who was still pooping inside at 6mths! As for the bell - how do you do it! Mr D cottoned on that it got my attention so I had to remove it, but I could never teach Tully. She used to whimper at me when she needed to go out, but after staying with my mum (having outdoor access) she doesn't tell me anymore. I've tried her with the bell and she's not getting it - the Burmese has now worked out it gets my attention tho!

Sharon7 likes this.
  9. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I was so lucky! My DS handled all the potty training for Layla and Bits. As I recall, she followed the Monks of New Skete schedule, and it worked like a charm. I would take Layla out right before bed (9:30 or 10:00). She's wake up at 5:00 and whimper to be taken out. Off we'd go; then I'd go to work.

Everyone else was trained to use the dog door by the other Shelties, so we had little say over the process! :lol:

10. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    At night we just have to remember to take Minnie out every half hour or right after she drinks-eats, this is when we are tired and not as willing.:gaahI think when I am off this summer I'll be better at it, I won't be as tired

Piper's mom and Sandy in CT like this.