Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Potty Training

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by Deanna McIntosh, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Deanna McIntosh

Deanna McIntosh Forums Novice

Dec 27, 2018
    So Castiel came in last night, 2 and a half months old and just a little fuzzy ball of energy. I've noticed tho that he doesn't potty outside, we stood outside for 30 minutes and all he did was play with the grass and sit next to me, but the moment we got back inside and back in the room he potty-ed, luckily it was on the pad I had down. I was wondering if there was any way to get him to take to pottying outside more?

2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Puppies have to be taken about 5 minutes after eating; after they play; before bed; and first thing in the morning. I put Layla on a leash when she was learning and repeated, "Hurry up, hurry up," in a sing-song manner as we walked around the yard. Pretty soon she associated hurry up with going.

ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Great idea of Chis's to put the puppy on a leash but you could also have an x-pen in the yard for them to do their potty.
    As I recall with Piper, he was also one who wanted to play for 30 minutes without peeing (good thing he came home in June) but drove me crazy at 7 am lol. I remember I even bought a spray at Walmart that you spray where you want them to pee...I was willing to try anything lol. It may have helped a little or else he just got used to going outside. I also said 'go pee' and big reward when he went.
    Just be patient, everything is new to you pup...all those smells they've never experienced before! He'll learn quickly.

ghggp likes this.
  4. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Also, if he's peeing on a pad indoors then take one outdoors for him to pee on.

5. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    It is very normal it is not his garden yet = foreign place,
    when he first knows the place and can smell where he has previously peed then it will probably come.

But as mentioned, it is important to come out with them
    - when he has slept, played eaten and in between. :yes:

Puppies need when they need to - so it is us who must be quick and teach them where it is done :biggrin2:

6. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate ny
    If Castiel has another accident in the house on the pad, take the wet/dirty pad out into the yard and place it where you would like him to learn to potty. Next time it is outside time, take him on lead directly to the area you have designated as "his" with the already used pad (or if his inside accident is off the pad, soak it up with an old towel or rag and take that outside to place where you want him to go). Decide what potty command you want to use and say it with a happy voice, and stay right there until he has done his business. Praise BIG time once done...I often add a tiny treat along with verbal praise. Then it is play time...but only after business is done. And with a tiny pup, you may need to do the same routine just before you go back into the house after play. (y)

BTW I have found that most dogs like to have their chosen spot to potty in their yard as far away from their house as possible...maybe an instinct to keep their "den" clean.

Trini

Sharon7, Hanne, Calliesmom and 2 others like this.
  7. SRW

SRW Premium Member

Jul 17, 2018

I used the bribe method to get Devon to take care of his business outside promptly. When he took care of business outside he immediately got a treat. It didn't take too long before he got down to business within a few seconds of me setting him down in the outdoor pen I had set up for him. It also has the side benefit of letting you know whether or not they have to go, because if they don't go in about a minute you can be pretty sure that they don't have to and can safely be taken back inside. This is really beneficial in the first month or two when you are outside with them at 4am. in the rain.

Piper's mom likes this.
  8. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    I'd also recommend not spending 30 minutes outside. Give the puppy 5 minutes. Walk around the yard (a leash is a good idea to prevent playing!) for 5 minutes then come back in and keep a very close eye on him. If you know it's about time for him to go, take him back out in another 5-10 minutes and repeat.

Sharon7 and KarenCurtis like this.
  9. GlennR

GlennR Forums Regular

Jan 11, 2019
    I agree with that. Treating Willow immediately meant she'd go almost as soon as we dropped her into her ex-pen.