Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Practice

Discussion in 'Agility' started by Pam, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    How do people routinely practice agility between lessons? Do you have such a big yard it can accomodate? Do you own lots of obstacles? Just starting out, I'm wondering what to do. I have a small backyard and don't quite know how to get practice in.

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I practice for obedience in my home and in the yard too. My yard is not that big. I have not done obstacles. But, I bet doing any training, even in small spaces will teach your dog to focus and listen. Just my 2 cents. Besides, Beau is a fast learner and super enthusiastic!

3. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Oh, I train all the time in my yard (it is a bit of a strain as Beau would rather chase the airplanes--we live 15 minutes from an airport and squirrels) for things that don't take room, such as heeling, waiting, scent work, etc. I was wondering about agility specific training.

4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    we have a couple jumps that we use and weave poles. tunnels too but we haven't used them much in the yard as the dogs do those well and don't need extra work on those. we can do start line stays with the jumps, jump practice and little sequences with the weaves. if I could only have one thing it would be weaves- they need lots and lots of practice to really get weaving.......

5. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    Weaves were the main thing I had to practice at home because I felt like my dog was not going to understand weave poles with a once a week class. I also have a jump, a child's tunnel and a tiny table. They're not all out at once because I don't have room for all that in my tiny yard. I usually just take out one equipment at a time. The jump is useful to practice flatwork, lead outs, sit stays, etc.

Pam likes this.
  6. Cleo2014

Cleo2014 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2015
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    I have a yard big enough for all of the stuff I made for agility. But in smaller spaces I usually practice the Clean Run routines they have in their magazines. That usually uses a tunnel some jumps and weaves. Not much equipment, just enough to work on my front/rear/blind crosses. That is what is really important in between classes.

7. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    I'd agree that you can usually make do with just a few pieces of equipment at home. Randi is right that weaves are the ones that need the most practice when you're first learning, so it's good if you can fit at least 6 in your yard (I also know some people that got portable ones and take them to a park for practice).

Agility is one of those things that the more you put in the more you get out. So getting equipment for your yard or home is very good, but it can be done with just spending time a day or two per week at your training facility.

8. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Okay so I bought PVC pipe and made some weave poles I stick in the ground over stakes, and one jump and had another baby jump when he was tiny. He is doing well--especially when he is tired so he is not stimming on the airplanes, mowers, and cars. I am slowly making equiptment--which is lots of fun. The one thing I can't bring myself to make is a table as it takes up too much room to store.
    Question: when do you "speed" up the weave poles? He is doing four on a very slight diagonal--not straight line quite yet but has that down. We may have to take a class break as the next level changed days of the week and I work those days.

9. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Honestly, I don't practice equipment at home. I don't want my dogs to get overuse injuries and I'm ok with things taking a long time. I DO practice handling and we do a lot of conditioning work, but we rarely do outright agility unless we're in class. My dogs also do Rally and are training to do therapy dog work, so they have very busy schedules even without practicing agility!

Pam likes this.