Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Prayers for Logan please...

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by ghggp, May 16, 2018.

1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    This morning I came downstairs at 6:30 which is late for me. Normally Logan wakes me up at 6:00 to go out. As I walked into the kitchen I noticed he was on the bathroom tile sound asleep. I let Baron and Beau out and went into the bathroom to wake Logan up. I knew something was wrong immediately. He could hardly stand and was really dull and weak. I got him on his feet and asked him to go out and he could not manage to walk. So, I carried him out. He peed and came back in. I gave him breakfast and he walked away. He would not touch his food. I thought if I hand feed him he might eat. I got about 5 oz in him before he refused any more food.

I called my regular vet and explained how concerned I was and they said to soonest they could get us in would be Friday. There was no way I was going to accept that. I called the vet that I have for Baron and Beau. They said to bring him in right away.

I had a vet visit a month earlier and he prescribed some antibiotics as his staph infection flared up on his belly. Otherwise, he said he looks fine. I ask him to do blood work and he said we did not need to until September.

Well, today we did an X-Ray and Blood Work...
    The results were not promising. I was so shocked at the diagnosis!

Logan is now in full kidney failure. His BUN and PHOS were so high they did not register on the chart! He is anemic and has bladder and kidney stones too! The x-ray showed his liver was 3 x the size of a normal liver. The vet recommended that he remain in the hospital with IV fluids to flush his system for at least three days. If he rally's, and that was a big if, we might only have 3-6 months left with him. He said had I waited until Friday to take action to help him he would have died!

I just can't believe this is happening... Please pray for my dear sweet Logan.
    Logan 5.16.18.JPG

2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I am so so sorry Gloria...all my thoughts and prayers will be sent to you and Logan!:fl:hugs

ghggp likes this.
  3. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Oh I am so sorry. :sorry::( What a punch in the gut. Prayers for Logan...

ghggp likes this.
  4. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Gloria, my heart just breaks for you. Fighting back tears remembering when I was given the same shocking news. Hopefully, the fluids will get him back on his feet and you can get him eating again. Tough road ahead, but he may be with you longer than you expect. You have a lot of support here, and there is a lot of good information available to help you manage the disease. I will be praying for you and Logan.

ghggp likes this.
  5. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Oh no, I am so sorry. There just are no words for such a terrible thing to happen. Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

ghggp likes this.
  6. mimiretz

mimiretz Forums Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    I will definitely keep you and Logan (and the rest of your crew) in my prayers.

ghggp likes this.
  7. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

I will be thinking of you and your sweet baby boy...I have been through kidney failure with a cat and I am hoping once he comes home (positive thinking for you!) you can help him at home where he knows he is loved.

ghggp likes this.
  8. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    OM Gosh. Poor sweet Logan, and poor you. You must be absolutely devastated. A big hug for yuo both.:hugs You are in my thoughts.

ghggp likes this.
  9. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thanks everyone for the support and prayers! We need each and every one! I read a bit online about this desease and I am hoping he makes it through the next few days and I can take him home!

I called the vet last night to see how he was doing. They said that they got him to eat Hill's® Science Diet® Adult 7+ Healthy Cuisine Braised Beef, Carrots & Peas Stew - canned. I felt great about that! However, he did pull out his catheter! I am hoping for another positive report this morning.

The vet explained that they do not do dyalisis on dogs but I could do sub-q fluids at home or bring him in every few days for a treatment. I told him I would do the at home option.

I will go today to visit with him.

10. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    That is very good news he is eating, this will be your greatest challenge. He may eat the Science Diet for a while, but more than likely, he will stop eating it, and you will need to find something he likes. We did the sub q fluids, it was hard for us at first, but Cody was a real trooper, he seemed to know we were trying to help him feel better. Our vet was great too. He sold us the fluids at his cost, and did not charge us for the needles.
    Check out dogaware.com There is a lot of useful information on dealing with kidney disease, and there are also recipes for homemade foods that are good for him. There is also a couple of Yahoo groups that are specific canine kidney disease. Lots good info and helpful folks there too. Give Logan a scratch behind his ears from us.

ghggp likes this.