Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Probiotics for Puppies?

Discussion in 'General Health' started by HikerDog, Aug 29, 2019.

1. HikerDog

HikerDog Forums Regular

Jan 28, 2019
    We have an 11wk old pup who had a case of hookworms. He was given Panacur and the next day had horrible loose stools. We called the emergency vet clinic and they seemed shocked that he wasn't also given a probiotic, saying that collies usually need them on the daily (let alone when they're prescribed medication)

I picked him up an awesome probiotic yogurt that stopped his digestive upset ten minutes after he ate it but it's a little expensive to give him as an every day treat. He's now no longer on medication but I would like to give him a daily dose as the vets recommended.

Any suggestions?

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
  3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    If your pup no longer has hookworm and is healthy I would not continue a probiotic. Probiotics do not contain all the bacteria in a dog's body, bombarding with a limited number of strains could over power a dog's ability to manage it's own biome. Recent research in human has shown probiotics are not innocuous. This is particularly so with a puppy who is only now establishing it's own biome. You should ensure your pup is eating a quality food which has appropriate pre-biotics so he can establish his own biome and reserve using probiotics for illness.

SheepOfBlue, Sharon7 and HikerDog like this.
  4. HikerDog

HikerDog Forums Regular

Jan 28, 2019
  5. HikerDog

HikerDog Forums Regular

Jan 28, 2019
    That makes sense too. Unfortunately, the dry food he was on when he came to us isn't that great. We are transitioning him to a much better quality food that does have pre-biotics in it but because the difference in quality is so large, we are taking extra care to transition him more slowly to avoid any more tummy troubles. Hopefully when he is eating it completely though, it'll help him out a lot :)

Sharon7 and Caro like this.
  6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    All six of my dogs get a probiotic every day from puppyhood on. It's recommended, by my vet and the nutritionist I've worked with, who stress that even good dog foods don't contain the probios dogs need. It's especially important when they're on medication. A dog on an antibiotic should also get milk thistle, to protect the liver and kidneys. A puppy would get a much smaller dose though.

This is the probiotic I use and have used for years, made by Natures Farmacy and available from Chewy. You give a tiny bit each day in the food so it lasts a long time: Dogzymes Probiotic Max

This is an excellent milk thistle supplement and also recommended for puppies. Dr. Mercola Liver and Kidney Support

Just a note...yogurt is wonderful for dogs, but make sure the yogurt you feed doesn't contain any artificial sweeteners of any kind which are toxic to dogs. Good luck with your puppy!

7. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    When I first got Sca he had a common puppy ailment (drawing a blank on the name) and got dehydrated. They gave him fluids and a tube of probiotic paste. Never gave him more and he was awesome on health his entire life.

HikerDog likes this.
  8. HikerDog

HikerDog Forums Regular

Jan 28, 2019
    Thank you! I'll definitely look into those. There's an awesome holistic dog store near me, so I made sure it was dog-friendly yogurt. It's by "Boss Dog Brand" if you wanted to check it out ~ it really helped him :)

Ann likes this.
  9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I give Piper and Finnie sauerkraut that I make (fermented veggies), lots of probiotics in it and not expensive. I usually make 3 or 4 jars at a time and they each get 1tbsp/day and they love it!

HikerDog likes this.