Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Pup Swallowed a Chew

Discussion in 'Treats & Supplements' started by HikerDog, Dec 1, 2019.

1. HikerDog

HikerDog Forums Regular

Jan 28, 2019
    So the other day, we got Toby (now about 21lbs at five and a half months) some dried cow's tails from our bulk supermarket. He's teething and ripping though all his toys so we thought something edible to chew on would be good for him. Made sure it was made in the USA and we didn't want to get him a rawhide because of the chemicals.

I gave one to him this evening and when I noticed it getting about small enough for him to swallow (maybe 1.5-2") I went into the kitchen to get a treat to encourage him to drop it so I could throw it away. Of course when I showed him the treat, he didn't drop the chew but instead swallowed the whole thing so he could eat the treat :shifty:

But of course, now I'm worried that he swallowed so much of it without chewing. He didn't choke at all and it's been about half an hour and he doesn't seem to be in any distress as he's napping now. I did some reading and it says the tails are 100% digestible (unlike rawhide or bone) It's not a hard chew, and it was softening pretty easily when he was chewing it. Still, I'm worried.

Any one have any experience with this?

2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    When Finnie was young (around 6 months) he practically swallowed almost 1/2 of a raw turkey neck! I gave it to him, he gave it a couple chews and before I could do anything he gulped it down. He was fine (although I watched him closely) although it would've taken awhile for him to digest it. After that he didn't get any necks, just backs I cut up small...thankfully he outgrew that!
    I'm sure Toby will be fine but I'd stick to things that are really hard for them to chew. I've gotten Himalayan chews before (totally made from goat or yak milk and very very hard) takes a longggg time for them to work through them.

HikerDog likes this.
  3. HikerDog

HikerDog Forums Regular

Jan 28, 2019
    It was definitely a lot easier for him to chew through than I thought it would be. Hopefully, that's a good thing at the moment since it will digest (fingers crossed) At almost an hour, he hasn't thrown up or anything so I'm assuming it isn't stuck.

The Himalayan Chew sounds great. I like that it keeps him occupied (and keeps his mouth working since he's grown to enjoy barking quite a bit haha) I'll have to look into them ~

4. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    I can't count the number of bully stick ends about that size Fillion has swallowed over the years before I could get it away from him. As long as he's breathing, not choking etc I wouldn't worry. It's digestible. I only take them away because I worry about the piece getting stuck, not because he hasn't chewed it enough. I discovered years ago (when researching about feeding raw) that canids only chew their food enough to swallow it. Sometimes they don't chew enough, so they hork it up and give it another go--this is where eating what they throw up came from!

Sandy in CT, HikerDog, RikyR and 2 others like this.
  5. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    I wouldn't be worried either :no: because it was fast to eat

HikerDog and Piper's mom like this.
  6. HikerDog

HikerDog Forums Regular

Jan 28, 2019
    Thank you everyone! He had a nice poop this morning :ROFLMAO: so I'm assuming he digested it. It was a pretty soft chew.

I did order the Himalayan ones though - I think they could keep him busy for a longer time. Too bad though that these won't because I was hoping they could occupy him during our potential snowstorm today into tomorrow.

Piper's mom and Hanne like this.
  7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Late to post on this but I know what you're going through. Checkers is a wolfer and always has been. I have to be so careful what I give her because she can swallow anything whole, especially if I want to get it away from her. I'm glad Toby is fine this morning! You'll want to give him much larger chews in the future so they're too big to swallow. That is the only way I can give Checkers anything.

I did try the Himalayan chews and they're great but you have to be careful with those too. They are very hard so you don't want them swallowed whole either. I found that out the hard way with Checkers. They're hard enough also break puppy teeth, so do keep an eye on him.

HikerDog and Hanne like this.
  8. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Kooper, our small standard doxies, inhales everything so for him, larger is not always better. I give him small dried pumpkin pieces, bully sticks, and in the summer I give wolfskins but only outside. Both of our dogs are chewers. While expensive, I do give prob 2 bully sticks per week to both. Brodie likes to chew at night while we watch tv and Kooper is snoozing on me, but I often give during hte day if he didn't get a ton of playtime, keeps him occupied with something. I buy odor free for in the house and regular for outside. I buy only those from US grown cattle. I did buy a few knuckles from Nature's Farmacy - they are massive, one is the size of a baby's head, but both will chew on them on occasion. They were more into them when they first got them, do give them attention if I put them away for a while.