Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Pup Swallowed a Chew

Discussion in 'Treats & Supplements' started by HikerDog, Dec 1, 2019.

1. DianeP

DianeP Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    I can’t exactly say. We started with the smallest ones. About the size of a large drinking straw. Mindy has yet to finish one because she seems to lose interest after a day and wants a “fresh” one. Today I got the small which is much larger. More like bratwurst size...lol...maybe an inch and a half in diameter and 3-4 inches long. I think she likes it better because there’s something to grab onto. She worked on that for 20 minutes and hardly put a dent in it. She’s back at it now. The sticks I got were venison. This bigger one is salmon which I think is one of her favorites. My plan is to put it away tonight and then offer it again tomorrow. In Mindy’s case I think it will last her for a week, at least. I’ll still take the end away from her when she gets down there because I always worry about choking.

https://shop.earthanimal.com/collections/chews-treats

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    so not gone in 5 minutes- will have to investigate...........

HikerDog, DianeP and Hanne like this.
  3. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    I got some Himalayan chews delivered yesterday and gave them to Fil and Benson last night. They were not a big hit. They had a "plastic-y" smell. Benson finally got his going. Fillion the chew monster never did get into it. I soaked an end in boiling water to try to soften it up but that seemed to make it less desirable. I will try again tonight. Maybe its this brand... But at 25 bucks I am not throwing them out! If Benson will work on one that solves the majority of my evening search for peace :) Fillion aka Fatty McFatFat doesn't need any extra calories as it is! I bought the large ones because of Fil's ability to chew everything up in under an hour! Maybe they are too big...

HikerDog likes this.
  4. TheDailyPainter

TheDailyPainter Forums Regular

Sep 19, 2019
    River doesn't like them either. I think there is probably one under the couch.

HikerDog, Hanne and Margi like this.
  5. DianeP

DianeP Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    Reporting in after 7 days. Half of the small chew left. No GI upset. She’s torn off some pieces but chews them up and swallows so al is good.

HikerDog likes this.
  6. HikerDog

HikerDog Forums Regular

Jan 28, 2019
    We got Toby one of those "No Hide" chews - the venison flavor - when we saw it in the pet store after the recommendations.

He does nibble from time to time on the Himalayan Chew, so I'm leaving it out for him - but he does seem to lose interest pretty quickly.

The No Hide though, he absolutely loves. We are giving it to him as a special treat as we introduce him to our new kitten. It chews like a rawhide except it says it's made with just Venison and Brown Rice. So he's able to soften it and chew it nicely though. So far, I would say this one we have the best luck with and he seems to like it the most. We got a larger size so he's much less likely to swallow a small piece for a while yet lol. He's had it for about two days now for 10-20 minutes at a time and it's holding up really well.

DianeP likes this.
  7. DianeP

DianeP Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    Great news!! Mindy seems pretty hooked on hers, too.

HikerDog likes this.