Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Puppies and stairs

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Watson's Mom, Nov 9, 2019 at 9:19 AM.

1. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Premium Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Western New York
    So, Roxy has going up stairs down and will come inside the house just fine. There are only two steps from the house to the garage but she either refuses or just can’t seem to go down them.

I’m not sure if she’s just refusing or if she can’t manage it yet. Watson also had problems with going down stairs.

How do I teach her stairs? We have tried luring with bits of treats on the steps but she just stretches her neck out like a turtle trying to reach them but no paws on the step.

am I relegated to carrying her down the steps until she gets a little bit bigger?

2. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    I used the lure technique for Cooper. He had a hard time with the steps at the Vet clinic ( we went there for socializing) because they were bare...no carpet.

Watson's Mom likes this.
  3. DianeP

DianeP Forums Regular

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    Mindy was worried about going downstairs, too. I did what you did and then just decided to pick her up for awhile. Periodically, I would experiment to see how she felt about it. Eventually, she just started going for it. I think the more she thought about it, the more scared she was. Taking the pressure off helped a lot. Roxy will get it before you know it!

Watson's Mom likes this.
  4. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    Western New York
    interesting thought. These are also uncarpeted.

5. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    I carried Minnie up my stairs to the first floor
    for many months to spare her shoulders,
    but one day she couldn't care less and went down by herself.

I also carried her up for a few months to spare her back
    until one day she ran up by herself

I'm probably a slightly protective mother :winkgrin:

But small steps with 4-5 steps them she went up and down when she found it right

6. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    Western New York
    I guess I’ll just keep carrying her when it’s an “ok, we’re going out NOW” situation and sprinkle in a few chances for her to try them in her own and when she’s ready, she’s ready.

I was worried the carrying might affect house training.

Hanne and Ann like this.
  7. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    We carried Brodie up and down stairs for months! One day he tried to come up stairs, ran after the cat an got stuck on like the 5th stair. Every time he'd try to go down, he'd end up a stair or two higher and it was funny to watch him try to process the whole thing. Eventually, one day I was upstairs and he just appeared but going down took a very long time. That, too, was cat related as he chased the cat down. Our stairs are hardwood, uncovered, and he manages just fine, but we let him do it in his time. There are still days when he'd rather bark at the top of the stairs to see if someone will come carry him down. I do keep his paw hairs trimmed up neat and trim so the hair does not cover his pads. When they are young, their pads are so soft, they are quite slippery and it takes a really long time for them to toughen up a bit to give them traction, even if you walk on pavement as we did with Brodie.

8. Elei

Elei Forums Regular

Jul 10, 2019
    Honestly, I'm jealous! I wish Kip wouldn't do stairs. I try to carry him up and down stairs because I'm afraid he'll hurt himself. But sometimes he gets away from me and tears up them like a crazy thing. I'm trying to teach him to go really slowly on the stairs. If he takes one step, he gets a cookie. Another step: cookie. And so on.

Calliesmom likes this.
  9. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    When I started Cooper going down the stairs I was nervous as it’s 15 steps. I started him on the step third from the bottom and gradually worked our way up, now he tears down them skipping the last step! lol