Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

PUPPIES in a week!! I'm going to drive you all crazy!

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by KarenCurtis, Feb 20, 2019.

1. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    :dead::winkgrin: The breeder just wrote on her blog that the puppies should be arriving in a week or so, mom's temperature is down. She's done this so often I'm sure she can predict the timing pretty accurately! Yes, I'm nervous! And excited! The pup will be ready mid May- I wish the timing was different; closer to June 21st to be honest! That's my last day of work, then I have ten weeks off. I like this breeder though and connect with her, and since when do puppies come exactly when you want them to anyways?
    I'm almost done with Ian Dunbar 's book, I do find it valuable although rigid in some areas, it kinda makes me feel like if I don't meet a deadline the puppy will be ruined! I'm just a bit anxious, I can't take the time off that I want to, because I'm too conscientious concerning work. I can live with calling in sick three days attached to a weekend, but no more. My husband will take one day. My Principal cannot ask me why I was sick either- that's violating my contract. I retire in two years, so why should I care that much? :gaahBecause I work with kids, that's the only reason!! And they are driving me nuts! A HARD 7th grade year- yes, 7th grade. :gaah

Calliesmom, Ann, Piper's mom and 2 others like this.
  2. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Premium Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
    OK- I've never heard of Ian Dunbar or his book until you started talking about him. I don't think that your puppy will be ruined by not following him exactly. If this is true- then Tara is ruined. (Since having never heard of him, I doubt I followed it.) And Tara is the best dog in the world. She may not have a string of titles next to her name, but she very gently crawled onto a hospital bed to comfort my dying grandmother- so sorry- I'm still going with the best dog in the world.

You obviously care about your job. That's why you care. (Which is good for you. Trust me, I am currently alternating between fear of them closing my building to fear of them not.)

7th graders- I got nothing for that other than Someone give this woman a medal. Seriously, I can NOT imagine being in a room with a whole group of them.

Your puppy will be SO fortunate to have you for 10 whole weeks. I really wish Cassie could have that. But my life requires being at work almost every day. Then I get to go home to that sweet little girl who gets so naughty when she's tired. And I get to hug on Cooper, rub Tara's belly, sing with Rocket, love Annabelle, and maybe get to say hi to Clarabelle. And I remember that I work to support those critters.

Piper's mom, Sharon7 and KarenCurtis like this.
  3. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Aww, thanks! The reasons people who like to work with 7th graders are the reasons most people don't! Yes, we're weird! But seriously, they have helped me in my dog training- consistency! If you're not consistent with the 12-13 year old brats, THEY WILL WALK ALL OVER YOU! LOL! I just noticed your avatar! The pesky sheltie and the bird feeder!

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    It's so exciting. I agree with Missy, don't stress too much over ruining the pup. You are being 100 times more conscientious than a lot of owners. We all just do the best we can. The puppy will learn a lot from watching Sandstorm, too. Hope the girl puppy you want appears in the litter!!

Hanne, Piper's mom and KarenCurtis like this.
  5. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    It will be interesting to watch the puppy and Sandstorm! What if the litter is all boys?? Can that even happen? Lol!

Piper's mom likes this.
  6. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

Can't wait for the pictures :) and videos :)
    Gavin was raised with me working and he did just fine! It's all about the calm and loving environment.

Piper's mom and KarenCurtis like this.
  7. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    How exciting.

You're going to do great, dog training and training kids has so much in common! The good thing is puppy won't be completely alone -s/he will have Sandstorm to keep her company. Funny if it was all boys, at least Shelties aren't a breed known for fighting each other, tho I do like the dynamics of having a female around.

Piper's mom and KarenCurtis like this.
  8. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    YEAH!!!!! Can't wait to see puppy pics!

KarenCurtis and Piper's mom like this.
  9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Does the breeder have an idea of how many pups she's expecting? Piper was from a litter of 8...5 boys and 3 girls (one girl died the first night). Finnie was one of 4...2 boys and 2 girls.
    I think it's unlikely they'd all be boys but you never know lol. At least I can say with three boys they do all get along and while Piper and Finnie may snarl when playing I have never so much as heard ANYTHING remotely aggressive from either one of them towards the other. They are best buddies! It's funny how when I come home from work and we go upstairs (Riley sleeps on the main floor with my mom) Piper and Finnie spend at least 5 minutes just roughousing because it's the first time in at least 8 hours that they'd been alone...they're so happy together.
    Such exciting times coming for you Karen!

KarenCurtis likes this.
  10. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    The breeder hasn't mentioned anything about how many pups she thinks there will be, she just said the dam looks like a stuffed sausage, poor thing! She's been doing this for 38 years- wow!