Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Puppy Carriers?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by shelee, Apr 8, 2021.

1. shelee

shelee Forums Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2017
    I was wondering if anyone had ever used a front puppy carrier for your Sheltie puppy while they were small to get them out and about to hear new noises and see new things till they are able to go for walks?

Hanne, Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    I haven't, but I met a young couple with a miniature Aussie pup in a front carrier - he looked relaxed and they said he did fine in it. We used a pet stroller for Meadow until her shots were done, got one free off of Nextdoor. It does roll OK on dirt paths.

Hanne, Ann, Piper's mom and 1 other person like this.
  3. shelee

shelee Forums Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2017
    Did she stay in the stroller?

Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Yep She did. Sometimes she got pretty excited in there, but it had mesh all around so she could see out really well. As she got older and bolder she would do little flips in there because she wanted to get out and run with Faith and Elijah, but nothing major. It folds down and zips all around so there's no way for her to get out. I was really glad we had it. Works well if you ever have an injured dog who needs to take it easy, or like us with our Brooke who had cancer but did NOT want to be left behind at home.

Hanne, Ann and shelee like this.
  5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Kismet was in a stroller, she hated it and wanted to walk with the big girls.

Now Tully, I carried her around in a handbag. That way she could come on walks with Deska. I even used the handbag for several months after she was allowed to walk, because her legs were so little that she had trouble keeping up when I walked her with Deska. She didn't mind that at all.

I do have a pet backpack with a mesh front. which I carried on my front, and I used that to carry my Burmese. But I found it really heavy and awkward carrying the cat (the cat is about 5kg). I ended up using it as an extra layer on top of Deska's stroller.

DSC_0088.jpg

Hanne, KarenCurtis and Piper's mom like this.
  6. shelee

shelee Forums Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2017
    Cute picture! Thanks, well I ordered a front carrier just a bit ago from Chewy. I have a feeling it might not work, but I can return it, shipping free they said. I may have to then order the stroller. We are suppose to have a very rainy week so I guess I have time to order something else.

Piper's mom likes this.
  7. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I used a front carrier to do a fundraising walk with puppy Jocu. he was great in it. I would take him out to walk a little every so often. He outgrew it pretty quickly though........

8. shelee

shelee Forums Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2017
    I figured I wouldn't get alot of use out of it, but I am determined to try and do everything I can to socialize so I don't have a very shy Sheltie like my last two were! So I figured I will have this pup out walking in town next week weather allowing. Thanks for your reply, I thought maybe I was crazy thinking of a front carrier.

Piper's mom, Hanne, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  9. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I've never used a front carrier but I do love my stroller. I used it mostly for my dogs, even the adults, when we went to dog shows when my daughter was competing. I never had one try to get out and it was fine on the grass and dirt paths.

Ruffles Ride 2.JPG Ruffles Ride.JPG

Piper's mom, Hanne, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  10. shelee

shelee Forums Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2017
    I love this!

Piper's mom, Hanne, Ann and 2 others like this.