Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Puppy class ended, Minnie starts agility class!

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by KarenCurtis, Aug 20, 2019.

1. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Minnie has been in puppy class all summer, and for the most part did well. I liked the class very much, very positive and we used a lot of treats in class. The only downside of the class was not enough playtime for the puppies. At this dog club the class is outside mostly and there is agility equipment set up for the agility class. Puppies are encouraged to play on some equipment after class, if they want to. Minnie is not afraid of any of it, she especially likes the tunnels. The agility instructor called me today and she is a sheltie person, she has two and is getting a Bi-Blue puppy in September! So Minnie starts next Tuesday! There will be three dogs in the class, it's just for fun and I think Minnie will like it. She loves to run and she needs to move instead of staying on a leash in a class, she's fast too! Fun!

GlennR, Sharon7, Ann and 3 others like this.
  2. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Yeah Minnie!

We did level 1 and 2 obedience and Brodie got his CGC right before they broke for vacations. My training facility did offer a 4 week sampler of Rally and Agility, just to get introduced to both, but I forgot about it. We start up September 9th, I believe, and we will do one day of Level 3 which includes Rally and one day of Agility. You are lucky to have the small class and man, really lucky that Minnie gets to be with other Shelties! We had met 2 Shelties during the Petco play group we did back when he was 4 months old, but other than that, we've never seen another Sheltie - wonder how he would react?

Sharon7, KarenCurtis and ghggp like this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    So great that you guys are exposing your pups early on to classes that allow them play with others. Liam’s puppy class only allowed 5 minutes at the end of class. He is finishing up another basic obedience class with only 5 dogs. He is doing great with the small class size.

Sharon7 and KarenCurtis like this.
  4. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    What a good idea! It will keep her brain occupied, too!

KarenCurtis likes this.
  5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Private Minnie! You are going to learn the obstacle course! All military Shelties do the obstacle course. You will have fun!
    Colonel Underpants

6. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Sandstorm here! Colonel Underpants! i is a Sargent i did not do an obstacle corse! i did spinning around minnie is that an obstacle?

Hanne, Sharon7 and Ann like this.
  7. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Actually there will be no shelties in the class, a lab and a golden! Lol!

8. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    We were just moved to another class. Six dogs, a Corgi too!

Calliesmom, Sandy in CT and Sharon7 like this.
  9. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    I predict she will love agility. All of mine except Brooke did. it will certainly tire her out, and like we say at our house, "a tired dog is a good dog!"

10. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Minnie and I went to the one on one catch up class, great instructor, she really knows Shelties, she has three, one is a puppy she will get in September. She said Minnie is a natural; she's been teaching agility for ten years. We have homework- walking with Minnie at my side, engaged with me, not using the leash at all, keeping it loose. The other task is Minnie at my side receiving her treat, instead of being in front of me. We have all day to practice tommorow. It should be fun. We went to the class after our visit with some Shelties, one a puppy, Minnie only had an hour break in between, so she got tired quickly, for class I just won't excersize her a lot before we go.

Hanne, Calliesmom and Sharon7 like this.