Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Puppy Class or Am Bred?

Discussion in 'Getting Started in Conformation' started by Debbie G, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Debbie G

Debbie G Forums Novice

Jul 2, 2018
    I have a mature puppy that will be 8 months old at his next show. He is a mature 8 month old. He is also 15 3/4" tall and I hope he is done growing. He is very balanced and does not look that tall. He has lots of coat but not a lot of length. He acts like a puppy. Very out going and thinks everything is a game. Hard to keep his feet on the ground. He first show at 7 months he took RWD from the 6-9 class. I believe that the judge really wanted to give him WD but he was awful silly. (she keep trying to get him to gait, even by himself to see his movement) It was 2 points in dogs and a 5 point major in bitches and the dog went BOW. So, puppy antics placed him out of the position for points. I am not complaining but he is still silly and I wonder if Am bred would be a good place for him or just keep him in the puppy class. The show closes Wed Sept 5, 2018. Thanks in advance. I am waiting on his show picture and can post that when it is here. (By the way, I used to show back in the 90s and early 2000's but stopped everything in 2005 due to life changes and it is hard to get my thoughts back on what is current. Also I am in a completely different state that I have never shown in.)

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Personally, I would stick with the puppy classes. If he's silly in AmBred, the judge may discount him. Most judges make allowances for puppy antics, and many will award points from the puppy classes.

3. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I agree—another vote for puppy class.

4. Debbie G

Debbie G Forums Novice

Jul 2, 2018
    Thanks for your insight.

Ann likes this.
  5. Debbie G

Debbie G Forums Novice

Jul 2, 2018
    Thanks

6. Debbie G

Debbie G Forums Novice

Jul 2, 2018
    Update on Levi's show. I did enter him in the puppy class both days and he won Winner's Dog for one point both days! 2 points down,13 to go! We are on our way. He was very silly when we gaited but did act like a show dog on the table and standing still. Thanks for the help. (This was his 2nd weekend at a show, 4 show total!) Debbie

Sharon7, Caro and corbinam like this.
  7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Wow!! Huge congratulations to you and Levi! What a fantastic weekend...he must be a very special boy to win points both days! Good boy, Levi!

8. Debbie G

Debbie G Forums Novice

Jul 2, 2018
    Thanks! I believe he is special, he has such a wonderful fun loving temperament, silly but he thinks that everyone and everything are there for his entertainment! I wish I could figure out how to post a picture.....

Hanne likes this.
  9. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    We'd love a picture, Debbie! You can either join as a Premium member, which gives you other benefits too, or you can post a link here to a photo sharing site.

10. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Congratulations. I'd love to see a picture too!