Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Puppy exercise question

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by PaulaS, Mar 19, 2019.

1. PaulaS

PaulaS Forums Novice

Mar 16, 2019
    Greetings to all! My name is Paula and I live in Plano, TX. This is my first post, although I have read many things on the forums. I have a 3 month old sable Sheltie named Finley. He is my second. I lost my first Sheltie, Devlin, after 13.5 years on January 4th and my husband and I said “no more dogs. We don’t want to be tied down”. That lasted six weeks and then came Finley

I apologize for not getting straight to the point. Devlin was a very large Sheltie and weighed between 42 to 45 pounds. Not fat, just tall and large. He was often mistaken for a small Collie.
    Finley is a much smaller puppy and will fit within breed standard height and weight. He currently weighs 7.5 pounds.

I have never heard of the 5 minute/month walk/play guideline and I’ve had/owned dogs for all of my 61 years! My last two walks with Finley have been about 30 minutes. Now much of that time is spent sniffing, trying to pick up sticks, leaves, etc. and is not consistent walking for 30 minutes. I let him set the pace and take cues from him on energy level.

Have I done damage to his joints, muscles or tendons?! Should our walks at this time be limited to fifteen minutes only? Same with play time in the yard? If so, he would have to be crated much more often to stop his playing and running around. As I sit outside typing this, he is a blur zooming past me doing his best Daytona 500 impression. Fifteen minutes barely takes the edge off of Finley’s zooms, playing and antics. I’ve always heard a tired dog is a good dog, but I certainly don’t want to do any damage to Finley!

All of my childhood and adult dogs lived long lives, with two making it to sixteen years and the others to at least eleven. However, only one of those was a Sheltie and he made it to 13.5 and I mentioned above.

I apologize for the lengthy post and thank you in advance for any clarification on the 5 minute/month rule!

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Welcome to the forum, Paula and Finley!

Gosh, my boy is 11 months old now an he looks like a small collie!
    PLEASE do not worry about too much exercise... you won't hurt his joints, muscles or tendons!
    My boy races around too! Believe me, they know their limits and will crash once exhausted.

Would love to see pictures of your new little one...
    Keep us posted on your progress...

Please take him to puppy classes and obedience classes to help socialize him!

Calliesmom and KarenCurtis like this.
  3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    exercise when the puppy can't choose to stop is when there are problems...
    puppies playing and walking with owners who let the puppy set the pace will be fine.

we've had people ask about running miles with their puppies/biking with their puppies- stuff like that....

ghggp likes this.
  4. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    Ann, KarenCurtis and ghggp like this.
  5. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Premium Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
    I have noticed with Cassie that she ALWAYS wants to play with the other dogs. But when she is tired, she turns into the biggest brat. So, if she is getting too bratty, she gets crated and is asleep within 5 minutes.

KarenCurtis likes this.
  6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    KarenCurtis likes this.
  7. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts